DVD HD850 + 50"PV500 = Heaven, I'm in Heaven!

Skybird

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Decided to stop faffing about with the PC DVI to to VGA trying to get Media Centre to display something approaching HD on the plasma - will get back to this in a couple of weeks, will try addind a spare nvidia card I have to produce an ouput to the plasma, leaving the main PC screen in its original resolution. Have to work, eat, sleep in the meantime...

So went out and got a Samsung DVDHD-850 from Bennetts who were having a sale.

WOW! Even the missus' noticed the difference between that and our old DVD player - I prefer 1080i, and I know it's upscaling, but the quality of the picture is unbelievable, and the sound through an optical lead into our sony amp is fantastic, especially DTS.

A great piece of kit. However, does anyone know if there are any new codecs to download anywhere? It will play some DivX files I have burned to a DVD+RW, but others (especially HD DivX) it says "no codec" for. Nothing on the Samsung website,it's a long shot but someone may know.

Thanks!

Off to watch something else, anything else, it all looks great!!!!

The samsung does have a really good picture,using the hdmi cable supplied.
But like you say it doesn't play all divx discs,its the same with my player.
I dont think there are any codecs out there that would work with the samsung.or with any player for that matter.The only chance we would have for this player and others, is with a firmware upgrade from samsung,i don't think thats going to happen for a long while yet..
But i have found that,most if not all my divx discs are encoded with packed bitstream,if you try and take out the packed bitstream the samsung will play most of them.
The programe i use to unpack the packed bitstream is called,(MPEG4MODIFIER)give that a go.Let us know how you get on.
regards Al

hmmm i have the same hd850 and a pioneer 43" and i can not notice the diffrence at all from my sony normal dvd player :confused:

Funny that,either my eyes are deceiving me,or i had a really crap dvd player before the samsung came along.
Also tried the HD-850 through the component cables,the picture was not so good.

hi again

i went out and got a qed hdmi lead for it aswell.

one thing i can say is that my sony dvd player 5.1 system is a pretty good one when it came it it was about £450 i think.

but i thought because the 850 upscales it would be a big diffrence from my sony i was wrong :confused:

but yes the 850 is a good player and for under £100 :thumbsup:

co blimey,£450,thats going back a few years.Don't remember a dvd player costing so much,but my memory is not like it used to be.
Sounds to me because you have a pioneer 43" i suppose that is doing a better job upscaling than the sammy.Just a thought i'm no expert.

you maybe right but the pioneer will only upscaler the sony to 576I (i think) and the sammy will upscale to 720p 1080i and then the tv will do abit of scalering aswell.

am very confused with this sammy dvd player am allways thinking i have missed somthin on it but there is nothin i have checked about 6 times now.

Fortunately, mine came with a HDMI cable in the box, just a generic brand of course, but ok.

1080i seems to be a much sharper picture, 720p seems a bit "soft-focus", and i can see the difference big-time between the Samsung and the Sharp we used before.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom