1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd hd

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nick Beecham, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Suppose, as planned, I blow 2 years savings on a CRT line doubled projector+scaler.

What I really want to know is this: If DVD HD ever arrives, will there be a clear upgrade path or will I have to ditch the projector and start all over again?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Nick

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It might be worth seeing what the Americans are saying about HDTV on the AVS forum. Often when they discuss projectors and scalers they are considering how they will handle 720p and 1080i feeds from HDTV set-top boxes. I would guess that HD-DVD would probably output similar resolutions (and possibly 1080p).

Note that I haven't actually done any research into HD-DVD, so treat my comments appropriately.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks Imccauley

That is very useful

Nick

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Line doublers smooth out the limited resolution of dvd.
    If you had hd dvd-and it will come-you wouldnt need a line doubler.
    a few years ago-when you couldnt buy a line doubler in the u.k. for love nor money,every enquiry i fired at projector stockists-elicited the same reply...we dont stock because they soften the picture.(..this was when the yanks were using them as a matter of fact..)

As soon as a market developed in the u.k.-every dealer was then saying,you absolutely need a line doubler above a certain sized screen etc..

The truth is,a 500 line-line doubled dvd could look a little softer as your filling in the gaps with non-real info.

A real high def picture will trounce a line doubled dvd.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Nick,
    When HD DVD comes to the UK shores, it would seem reasonable that the manufacturers will want as large a potential market as possible for their products. This won’t happen if the output from these players works with just a handful of esoteric high end CRT projectors.

It seems likely that manufacturers would be to fit a scaler into their HD DVD player. The cost of these devices is falling all the time. A menu would give a choice of output resolutions from basic interlaced signals (480i) through DHTV formats 480p, 540p, 720p, 1080i and possibly 1080p for those lucky enough to own a 9” CRT projector which is the only device currently able to show the the highest HDTV resolution. You would then pick the resolution most appropriate for your display device.

A line doubled CRT projector would cope with 480p, 540p and 1080i. Having seen 1080i projected I can definitely say you would notice the difference compared to the DVDs you’re watching today. If the source contains more information, some of it will filter through even after scaling down.

I would buy now and enjoy line doubled images for the next 2~3 years. You’ll have a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Charles,
    Early line doublers may have used the line repeat method to smooth out line structure, but I think you will find that most modern line doublers (correctly referred to as de-interlacers) actually reconstruct a full resolution video frame from two half-resolution fields. There should be no “non-real info” introduced.

Any softening of the image is probably due to limitations in the hardware or bandwidth limitations which clip high frequency detail. Other factors maybe the quality of Motion Compensation processing and 3:2 pull down.

Of course Hi Def DVD will be better than de-interlaced standard DVD because the source contains more information, and I can’t wait for it to arrive.

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

6. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks guys.

Nick

7. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yeah..your spot on Chris..I was actually referring to early line doublers but i didnt make that clear..apologies mate!!