DVD & HD Recorder - allows pausing of TV?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nathanelb, Dec 28, 2004.

1. nathanelb

nathanelb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting in a muddle about the functions of different equipment in a home theatre setup!

So far, I'm looking at buying a Panasonic 42" 'Viera' plasma with a digital tuner.
    As far as I understand the Panasonic E85 DVD/HD recorder has these functions:
    Record from Freeview direct to DVD or on to the hard disc.
    'Time-slip' - repeats last 30 seconds; I think this is a bit like pausing TV?

Does the Panasonic E85 give me all the functions of a Freeview PVR such as the Humax 800T? I want to be able to pause TV for viewing after an interval (phone rings, etc) while also continuing to save the recording on the HD.

Otherwise, can you recommend what pieces of equipment I need to complete a full Freeview/HD/DVD recording setup?

Thanks,
    Nathanael

2. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes:
    Pause for phone: If recording and watching - Press PLAY then PAUSE
    If not recording and watching - Press RECORD then PLAY then PAUSE (three buttons to press!!!).
    After pressing PLAY (to resume watching) you can search backwards and forwards through the recording.

TIMESLIP allows you to jump many minutes.

But:
    No EPG as on the PVR 8000T. All recording times have to be entered manually.

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does E85 have built-in freeview tuner?

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    No, afraid not.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No HDD/DVD combos with Freeview yet. The first may be the Toshiba RDXS34 around April. I'd expect others to follow fairly quickly.

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't think so - so E85 is not much like Humax

7. nathanelb

nathanelb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Good you can pause TV...

The digital tuner in the plasma display should be able to access the 7-day transmitted EPG - just a shame if this can't be linked to the Panasonic E85 to record directly.

8. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have same set-up you're considering. You can use the epg in the Viera to set timer recordings (of Freeview broadcasts) directly to the E85. It's a really useful function since you'll want to get the most out of potential quality of E85 recordings by recording freeview rather than analogue broadcasts. the most up to date Viera software (last update was transmitted a couple of weeks back, but I think it was originally broadcast a couple of months prior to that) provide full 7 day epg on Viera.

9. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You won't be able to record in RGB mode (the best mode) if you use linked timer recording. This is because the pin that's used to send the "start recording now" signal is used for something else when you're using RGB. This isn't a huge problem since the quality will be pretty good in s-video mode, but it's something you should be aware of.

Also using an E85 to pause live TV won't be as convenient as something like a Humax PVR. As Baj pointed out you have to press Record to start it recording, then Play to start playing back what you're recording, then Pause to halt it. That's assuming that a) your E85 is turned on and ready to record and b) your TV is set to view the E85's output.

Don't get me wrong, they're great machines but they're not as good as PVRs for PVR-type functions.

10. nathanelb

nathanelb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Do you think the recording quality through S-Video is noticeably lower quality than the original digital picture?

Another combination I'm thinking of is the Panasonic E55 (No Hard Disc) with a Freeview PVR - this should cover every function I want.
    Is it possible to connect both of these to the plasma?

11. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, as viewed on a 28" WS TV, S-Video clarity equal to RGB, colours not quite so rich and deep. Difference is small and acceptable.

A Panasonic E85 (or similar) HDD/DVDR allows editing of recordings; very useful and desirable.

When my wife started watching programmes with the adverts removed, her tolerance of my audio/video playthings turned into a conviction that when I tied my shoe laces I really did illuminate the world.

Some 2 hour ITV programmes include as much as 27 minutes of adverts.

12. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDRW720 allows pause/slip-streaming TV upto 6 hours (not minutes)

doesn't have built-in freeview tuner but at £30 each you could buy a couple (1 to view & one dedicated to record) & HDRW720 can control both via EPG

13. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. also has RGB in/out, S-Video & component out

14. nathanelb

nathanelb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDRW720 is an interesting one, but seems to be more like a PVR than a DVD recorder. While I would indeed like to pause TV, its not the only criteria, and this device has quite a few weaknesses:
    No progressive scan output for playing DVDs; less playable media formats (eg MP3, DVD-A); no direct record to DVD; hard to learn to use according to homecinemachoice.com review.
    Thanks for the advice anyway :)

15. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDRW720 maybe not the machine for you - but i think a HD/DVD is

if you buy standalone PVR & seperate DVD recorder - you will be stuck with copying to DVD in Real Time - Ouch!

whereas if you buy HD/DVD (even without a tuner) - you can edit on HD then dump to DVD double-quick +you can always pick up freeview tuners so cheaply now, you can even buy Top-Up tuner for it - just make sure the HD/DVD can control an external tuner