DVD & freeview box connections

E

Estoril-5

Hi guys,

What is the best way to connect my dvd recorder (non progressive) to my HD tv. Scart RGD with sound or through component (3 video & 2 sound connections)?

And whats the best way to connect my freeview box?

cheers

E

Estoril-5

ive searched the forum but nothing actually answers my question.

can anyone help?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
To be honest, there's not much between component and RGB (SCART) anyway especially on a smaller screen. Component does give a better pic though. Obviously you'll need a component lead with separate audio RCA phono lead. You might need to connect it up via a cheap freebie SCART to set it to component though. You will need to check.

As for Freeview, it will be SCART (set to RGB in the video output menu if possible).

For cheap good quality SCARTS check out Philex, THOR and Vivanco Prowire. More expensive would be IXOS and QED.

I hope that helps.

E

Estoril-5

Obviously you'll need a component lead with separate audio RCA phono lead. You might need to connect it up via a cheap freebie SCART to set it to component though. You will need to check.

why/how would i need a cheap scart to set it to component?

do i have to use the audio input for sound (2 cables) or can i use some other connection?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
why/how would i need a cheap scart to set it to component?

do i have to use the audio input for sound (2 cables) or can i use some other connection?

As component (YUV/YpBpR) won't be the default output, you will probably need to connect the DVD recorder and TV via SCART first then change the output to component. Then you can use Component. Otherwise, you won't get a picture to be able to see the menu settings etc.

Yes, if you use component video, you will need to use a separate audio connection (red/white RCA phono) to get the audio from the DVD Recorder to the TV. Obviously SCART (fully wired) cables carry the audio as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom