DVD, Freeview and TV link-up.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete M, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To anyone who can help.

I have just bought pnny EH50 after much searching. When I come to set everything between the TV (7 year old CRT) Freeview and the EH50 I am confused because the Freview instructions say one thing and DVD instructions another. What I have done seems...! to work. I have played back a disc, have recorded from ITV 1 on to hard drive but I can not record Ch 31 - Ceebees for my grandaughter.

Can anyone help with instructions for the most successful layout. My TV has 2 Scart sockets as does Freview box and obviously the EH50. When I tuned in why does DVD not include all the available channels ( 40 or so).

I am totally confused and need help or putting away...!

Ciao

Pete M

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Your DVD Recorder has an analogue tuner and thus cannot receive the Freeview channels. To record them you need to hook up your Freeview box to the DVD recorder using Scart cables. Connect as follows:

Freeview TV Out >>> AV2 on the EH50 and then AV1 >>> TV AV/EXT 1

You will need to ensure the Freeview box is set to output RGB and that AV1/AV2 are set to RGB on the EH50 (connect up as suggested and if you run into problems we'll deal with it then).

And then to record set the Freeview box to the correct channel and use the channel up/down buttons on the EH50 to select 'A2'. You will then be able to record.

3. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak
    Thank you for your response I thought it may be you would help from what have seen on the various threads. I will try what you say but one other question - should my external aerial go first to Freeview and them through to EH50 - the manuals are confusing me.

Pete M

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Doesn't really matter either way: normally you would go Freeview >>> EH50. Most of us here don't use the internal tuners of the DVD recorders (the PQ is considerably better from an RGB output from a Digibox) and thus only hook up the aerial to keep the clock upto date.

5. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Thank you for all your help but I must be lacking in basic common sense because I got into a right mess following your instructions and couldn't understand what I was doing - I just lost it - my fault not yours.
    The Panny manual shows one scart from TV to AV1 on the EH50, then the second scart from AV2 to the digital terrestrial receiver (Freeview). External aerial to RF in on EH50 and RF out to the TV. There is no aerial connection shown going to the Freeview box...!!

I have tried following the diagram in the manual and I can record a digital channel but I can not watch any other channel, even analogue. The TV picture quality is poor unless the EH50 is switched on and you can only change channels using the DVD remote - very odd.

My Hitachi CRT TV has 2 scart sockets, the Freeview box has 2 scart and 2 aerial connections but no other controls, and obviously the EH50 has 2 scart and 2 aerial. So what goes where?

I am beginning to think I have wasted my money on a sophisticated piece of kit - at least with the VCR I could record one prog while watching another.

It must be that I am a 1st class 'dummy' unless there are some simple foll proof instructions that I could follow to get the Panny working as it should.

If you can spare the time to help me I would be grateful.

Best regards

pete.m

6. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    you may want to go this way depending on your freeview box -

freeview vcr scart out <-----> dvdr av1 scart
    freeview tv scart out <-----> tv av1 scart

that way the rgb signal from the dvd is fed thru the freeview box to the tv av1. you also get rgb from the freeview box fed to the tv av1 when watching digital tv.

when i connected as Rasczak suggets -

Freeview TV Out >>> AV2 on the EH50 and then AV1 >>> TV AV/EXT 1

i wasnt able to watch a dvd whilst recording onto the hdd.

stuart

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The manual won't be of that much help I'm afraid - it's aimed at an international audience and is designed for the average user who isn't too worried about getting the best connection.

Anyway - we'll going have to work though this step by step:

1) Disconnect everything and then hook up the RF aerial in a chain to:

Freeview box >>> DVD Recorder >>> TV

By completing this action you should have the terrestial channels viewable from the internal tuner inside your TV! Assuming you do then we are happy with the RF aerial side of things and move on to Scart connections in step 2.

2) Now use a decent Scart cable to hook up the Freeview TV Out connection directly your TV. I can't emphasis enough how important it is to check it is the TV Out and not the VCR scart! Forget about the DVDR for now! Do you have a picture? Is it a good picture?

3) Assuming option 2 worked (if it didn't stop and post back) then disconnect the Scart lead connection between the Freeview and TV. Reconnect using a different decent quality Scart cable. Again don't even think about the DVD recorder at this stage. Do you have a picture? Is it a good picture? (This step ensures two working Scart cables).

4) Assuming option 3 worked (if it didn't stop and post back) then connect as follows:

Freeview TV Out >>>> AV2 on the Panny and then AV1 >>>> TV

Use the same two Scart leads that you have just tested and LEAVE THE DVD RECORDER IN STANDBY (but on at the mains). Do you have a picture? Is it a good picture?

5) Assuming everything still works switch the DVD recorder on, i.e. take it out of standby. Do you have a picture? Is it a good picture?

...can do all that and post back with any problems stating exactly what they are? We'll take it from there.

8. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have followed your very clear and precise instructions to the letter and thanks for quick reply.

Steps 1-3 fine , did get a picture and it was good. The instruction in 3) to check one had two working Scarts was great and it proved I did have one dud out of three.
    Mine are definitely not of the highest quality so can you advise me which are best so that when my cash flow is back to normal ( after purchasing the EH50) I can replace my existing ones.

Anyway on to step 4) - a picture yes, and a good one including Ch 5. However in step 5) whilst I had a picture for some reason Ch5 was not as good as in step 4).

Digital channels beyond Ch5 only work when the DVD is turned off. If I am tuned into Ch7 and turn the DVD on, the picture switches back (to Ch5) but I don't know why.

So generally everything is operational in line with your instructions so far - what next??

Incidentally I notice a new member seems to disagree with you but I will follow your advice at this juncture.

Thanks again & I await your next post.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The way he is connecting means he is only recording in composite which offers noticeably inferior picture quality to RGB. If you loop the RGB Freeview picture through the DVD Recorder then you can watch and record in RGB. Do as Stuart suggests and you can only watch in RGB. Connect as I say and you will be able to watch a DVD or a programme recorded/being record onto the HDD whilst recording from Freeview.

This s due to the analogue tuners in the two machines (TV and DVD Recorder) being of different abilities. Obviously your TV tuner is better with weak signals. Hence the PQ difference.

What 'channel' is the EH50 itself set to? Have you used the up/down channel buttons to select input 'A2'? You should find this below channel 1, i.e. press the 'Down' button and go from 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > DV > A4 > A3 > A2 (that's off the top of my head so if it's a slightly different order I apologise!).

With the EH50 set to 'A2' (which stands for the AV2 input on the back of the machine) you should see what the Freeview box is displaying.

10. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching digital ch7 and following your advice I scrolled down to A2 and it showed Ch7. Unfortunately I do not understand the significence of A2.

What is the next step in my education..? If one sets up a recording sequence using Video+ what happens if I want to watch a totally different programme. Incidentally I am most grateful for your assistance. Thank you and keep up the good work, I am getting more confident each day.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    A2 is just the 'channel' which tells your DVD recorder to look at what is being input via Scart Socket Number 2. If you had a source connected to Scart Socket 1 (AV1) then tuning to 'A1' would cause that to be displayed/recorded. The channels you see on 'channels' '1', '2', '3', '4', '5' are the analogue transmissions of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4, C5 respectively - they are not coming from the Digibox.

If you want to watch one Freeview channel and record another you can't. Not unless you buy another Freeview box and plug that into the second Scart socket on the TV. Obviously you have the tuner inside your TV for the analogue versions of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and C5 so you can watch them whilst recording from Freeview.

You can also 'Timeslip' whilst recording, i.e. watch any programme (including the one you are recording) on the HDD or DVD. To do this press 'Timeslip'.

12. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    rasczak - you are right. connecting as you describe does work :thumbsup: one thing though, on the freeview box, i have had to turn the smartlink off. when it was on, if i recorded onto the hdd & tried to watch a dvd at the same time would trigger something in the sony & therefore i would end up recording a blank black screen with sound, & no picture.

so it seems all good again

stuart

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    A blank black screen with sound indicates a composite picture where an RGB one is expected. Presumably something in your setup was forcing this, i.e. the SmartLink. What make/model is your Freeview box?

14. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    hi - its the sony freeview box & i have tinkered around with various settings & the only one i hadnt done before was the smartlink. as i said, disabling the smartlink sorted the problem. i can play a dvd & record onto the hdd without losing any incoming picture. plus the smartlink feature does not work unless connected like so freeview vcr scart out <----> dvdr av2 in, so i have no need for it

thanks
    stuart

ps - i set the sony to rgb output & the dvdr av2 input to rgb

15. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You might want to put the aerial to the Freeview first box as I've found that at my parent's place which has relatively poor reception on the DTT BBC channels, there is a definite degradation of the signal by looping it through a VCR on the way to the Freeview box. This can cause breakup at times on the picture.

Gav

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    He should already be wired up like that iaw my post above!