DVD Forum reaches an agreement with China

blimey ! :eek:
that sounds like sony will be getting into HD DVD by a back door,
and they can save face by saying it's CH DVD :rotfl:
it's good news for the possibility of cheapo players though :thumbsup:
(although I still fancy a PS3 to compliment my 360 and tosh HD player,
I'm just waiting for a pre xmas price reduction.)

LMAO at all the fanbois of both sides on the forum underneath the article!

I just don't get the fanboi-ism with this. You do your research, choose the one that seems the best/ has the best chance of success, if you got it wrong you jump ship. You don't spend hours trying to convince everybody else you are right, resorting to insults if your argument isn't getting through!

What are people trying to achieve? Doing Sony/Toshiba's selling for them?

Better still, if you can, you buy both, or a dual format player:smashin:

The Chinese have applied to put AVS on Blu-ray, so they can produce cheaper Blu-ray players. I see no reason that the format war will not extend to China.

We should get cheaper HD players of both colours, as a result.

Very interesting article - thanks for posting :thumbsup:

The Chinese have applied to put AVS on Blu-ray, so they can produce cheaper Blu-ray players. I see no reason that the format war will not extend to China.

We should get cheaper HD players of both colours, as a result.

Hi Peter.

You appear to keep your ear pretty close to the ground on BD, so maybe you've read something I've missed.

BD originally criticised HD DVD's decision to 'go Chinese', saying it'd mean players so cheap that CE manufacturers wouldn't make any money on them.

I've not yet heard them officially say they've changed policy on this, or give any reason for changing tack.

Have you heard anything? Any idea why they've made this u-turn?

As far as I'm concerned, £200 BD players are every bit as welcome as a £200 HD-E1, but it'd be interesting to know if the BDA have said anything about it.

Steve W

An insider said there will be a $100 difference between the formats this Christmas, but no less.

Still, given that large difference, I think BD will do fine with all its other obvious advantages.

An insider said there will be a $100 difference between the formats this Christmas, but no less.

Still, given that large difference, I think BD will do fine with all its other obvious advantages.

oh dear... here we go again. :rolleyes:

Interesting if it can be done on a low powerd processor.

This will mean less power demand leading to more battery powered portable devices and less cooling needed. Maybe passive cooling.

Peter, I wasn't asking for a guess at prices, which could turn into another format war thread.

What I was asking is, do we know why/when the 'no Chinese' policy turned into a 'China is good' policy?

I just wondered if the BDA had made a formal statement giving a reason for it.

Steve W

I think that for North America, EU and Asia this means cheap HD DVD players coming out of China.
That, however, does not mean high quality players. But im sure that if cheap players are available it will mean that prices over all will eventually come down as more and more people adopt.

With paramounts sudden shift to HD DVD things are looking brighter for HD DVD.

Poor Sony, its as if everyone is out to get any format they ever produce! :D

Peter, I wasn't asking for a guess at prices, which could turn into another format war thread.

What I was asking is, do we know why/when the 'no Chinese' policy turned into a 'China is good' policy?

I just wondered if the BDA had made a formal statement giving a reason for it.

Steve W

I ignored the question because I can't see any relevance in it.
There has been Chinese members of The BDA for some time, I think you should find the original source of the 'no chinese' and ask him why such a ridiculous statement was ever made and was it ever an official policy.

But honestly, who cares if they changed their minds, if indeed they did.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom