DVD Forum meeting, did it happen?

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard how the meeting went this week, it was supposed to be the 30th or 31st of |October. On the agender was pal progressive scan, it seams to have gone quiet.

I guess nobody know's then :(

The DVD Forum meeting took place in Paris as scheduled (I was there). Very informative.

625p was never on the agenda and was not mentioned because its adoption is now nothing to do with the Forum - the members have supported it for about a year (my company is a signatory to the letter to the DVD CCA) - it is now all about getting it incorporated into the relevant licences and the people who can do this arguably have other more pressing matters to consider. So, while that has not formally happened yet, the studios have let it be known they will not oppose 625p provided the player incorporates the proposed Macrovision copy protection for 625p. Since late September players that incorporate 625p with this protection, and of course comply with 525p and 525i/625i specs, will no longer be refused a compliance certificate by Macrovision and so may be placed on the market.

The first player to do this was the Arcam DV88 Plus. Other models already in the market must first be modified to incorporate the correct MV signals (assuming that is possible - many video encoders cannot do this) and then be resubmitted to MV before they can incorporate 625p.

It's nice to be small and flexible sometimes :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

Thanks for that John. Congrats on being the first with an official Pal progressive player. :)

Other models already in the market must first be modified to incorporate the correct MV signals (assuming that is possible - many video encoders cannot do this) and then be resubmitted to MV before they can incorporate 625p.
I guess this is why Toshiba have not released an upgrade for my SD-510 :(

It's nice to be small and flexible sometimes :)

Cum'on, this is not completely true, isn't it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom