DVD format query.

Dave P

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, quick question for you.

I recently purchased a DVD from the film makers direct as it's not available in the shops. ItT's a region 2 PAL DVD but beyond that I can't tell anything as the label on the DVD is plain white and it came in a plain envelope.

The DVD won't play on my Multiregion Sony HXD860 or via WMP on my PC.

However, the DVD will play on my Xbox360 and Power DVD on my PC.

I was wondering if someone could tell me why this is?

Thankyou.

Dave.

Hi all, quick question for you.

I recently purchased a DVD from the film makers direct as it's not available in the shops. ItT's a region 2 PAL DVD but beyond that I can't tell anything as the label on the DVD is plain white and it came in a plain envelope.

The DVD won't play on my Multiregion Sony HXD860 or via WMP on my PC.

However, the DVD will play on my Xbox360 and Power DVD on my PC.

I was wondering if someone could tell me why this is?

Thankyou.

Dave.

Sounds like it may not be a properly structured DVD-Video disc.

Don't know much about Xbox360 but use Power DVD a fair bit and it will play many other file formats apart from DVD-Video discs.

Have a look at the file structure on the disc using the PC, should be able to see if it is a correctly structured DVD-Video disc or not.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for that.

I checked the DVD against another DVD that works and they seem to have the same type of files in the same order. So it wouldn't appear to be that, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else got any ideas? Could it be something to do with the way the disk was finalised?

Dave.

Thanks for that.

I checked the DVD against another DVD that works and they seem to have the same type of files in the same order. So it wouldn't appear to be that, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else got any ideas? Could it be something to do with the way the disk was finalised?

Dave.

It may look correct, I expect it is not region 2 at all but region 0 as it sounds like a DVD-R disc.

You could always remaster it on your PC so it will play ok.

Thanks for your reply.

What's the easiest way to remaster it?

Cheers.

Dave.

Thanks for your reply.

What's the easiest way to remaster it?

Cheers.

Dave.

Copy all the files off it to a new DVD, then finalise the new DVD and try it in your DVD player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom