1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD for a panny pw7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkHealy, Sep 17, 2005.

1. MarkHealy

MarkHealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, all! Following from the great advise from all on the AV forums, I recently purchased a pw7. Although primarily I wanted it for digital TV, I now wish I had purchased it with connections for a DVD. (I presently use a projector for movies). I presently use a JSTech RGB to VGA box to connect the ntl box to the PC port in the plasma. I'm wondering is it possible to connect a DVD player to the serial port? If so, do Panasonic manufacture a DVD player with a connection for a serial port? Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Its not possible to send video through the serial port. you could get a scart switcher, plug dvd + ntl to that. Then send that to the js-tec converter then to the plasma. Or purchase a component video board and dvd player with component output.

3. MarkHealy

MarkHealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, ukdan! I think that I'll go the component video board route. Do you know whether it is easy to install? Is it a question of buying it, plugging it into the relevant slot, and away you go?

Many thanks,

Mark.

4. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark,

You want the TY42TM6ZC component board. You can get one for about £130, or maybe cheaper on the forums, or fleabay. Fitting it, I seem to remember was easy-peasy. Only one way to slot it and I think there were a four screws to clamp it.

Read some forum reviews on component cable and dvd players in your price range and away you go....enjoy.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    component is probably best but another option is to go for a dvd recorder and pass ntl thru it and out to the js box, or you may be able to pass a dvd player thru the NTL box.....you can with sky boxes but i don't know the NTL box.

6. MarkHealy

MarkHealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a mill, guys! Light User: I was checking out pricing on the component board you mention. I got a good price at $114 on a TY42TM6Z RCA component video terminal board from an American company. Could you confirm that this is the correct board? (I saw BNC boards listed - I assume that it is an RCA board I want).

Thanks again,

Mark.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    You can use a BNC board, it will cost you around £80 for it and then another £5 for RCA-BNC adapters for your component cable.

8. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    100% certain about the model number. But I don't know what the advantages of bnc vrs rca connectors are, except that the bnc leads have a tighter connection. But why is bnc a hell of a lot cheaper if it is supposed to be better?

Anyway, as Gizlaroc says (if there are no handicaps to performance), you can always get an rca to bnc adaptor for a fiver if you get the bnc board and the money saved you can use to buy a few more dvds!! :smashin:

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    BNC is cheaper apparently because they come from Panasonic commercial division whilst the rca is made by the consumer division