dvd extras

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Apr 28, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how important are dvd extras to everyone?
    while from time to time i have listened to a section of directors commentary or watched the trailer i really never have time to do anything except watch the film.
    magazines always seem to mark a disc down that has few extras but i would gladly give up every extra on every disc i have in exchange for a dvd release os once upon a time in america

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only care about the Directors commentary to be honest. I've only ever seen one making of that was good and that was on MAGNOLIA - very good actually. Usually everything else tells you what you already know to the point of this film is about ----- and heres some pictures of guys on computers doing sfx. A la A.I 2 dis dvd, which I thought was a really bad release.

The best DVD's are ones where the directors are involved - the best directors for DVD's are - Paul Thomas Anderson, Cameron Crowe and Baz Lurhman.

With regards to DVD reviews in magazines, I find it hilarious when a really bad film with loads of extras gets full marks when a far better movie with just a trailer gets slated. I mean, where's the logic in that?

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd magazines also seem to employ morons to do their reviews.
    in last months what dvd the deer hunter and quiz show were considered to be inferior FILMS(not just the actual discs). to garbage like jay and silent bob strike back and disco pigs.
    what kind of cretin thinks like that?

ps, yes magnolia making of was very good

4. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its a film i really like then i take the extras seriously. Generally its the 'Making Off', 'Commentary' and on Comedies; 'Outakes' that i'm interested in. My favourite commentary is 'The Goonies' cuz I luv that film and you get to see them all grown up. :) Star Wars Phantom Menace is a good all round dvd and in some ways the extras are better than the film.

If its i film that i havent seen then extras aren't really important and i do think magazines go on too much about extras, afterall how many times have you watched an extra more than once?

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    IMO the film is obviously the primary reason to buy a disc ...
    Great extras do nothing for me if the film is rubbish (a prime example, again IMO, is Wild Wild West)
    I have just started to order R3 movies from DDDHouse and Western films (as they call them) dont ever appear to have the extras that the R1 R2 or R4 versions have - The Others for example - But you do get DD5.1 or DTS and Widescreen (albeit not always anamorphic) You are also getting the movies for around £9 delivered & for me that's a big factor - I can buy more a month for the same outlay - Paul ;)

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not interested in extras and would never buy a DVD just because of those. If there is an option to buy the DVD at a cheaper price without extras (say a 1 disc release instead of 2) then I will go for that.

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the opposite way (Ooooo er!).

I will gladly trade my vanilla release for an extras laden disc. The newer release does have to be worth it though. for example the rumours for the new cut of a Starship Troopers discs doesn't seem that far removed from the original so I may not bother. Although this disc was one of the first ones I bought and used it as a reference disc when I used to sell HCPCs so if the transfer is better then I would. I would always replace a vanilla disc with a criterion if one came out, except strangely Robocop. I had the LD of the criterion and I've replaced it with the R2 trilogy set.

8. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extra's on the Bond films are very good ang give a few insights (Connery's arguments about press intrusion, the Desmond Llewellyn tribute and the Ian Flemming reports to name a few) and the commentaries are good too.

I think they are added bonuses but not essentials unless you look at something like the Criterion disks where the extra's can make the film much better.

The commentaries on Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are also very good.

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some of the commentries are better than the film!

Who has seen MST3K (Mystery Science Theatre 3000)? This is where there are some character's heads in cinema seats that "watch" a b-movie and just jibe all the way through. This is what the commentry is like on the ghostbusters discs. The Stargate SG-1 discs have similar witty comments by Pete Delouise (spelling?) especially when he has a bit part - he cracks me up along with Richead Dean Anderson. When they both do a commentry forget the plot line just listen to the anecdotes :)