DVD editing on a Mac Mini

bib1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is this the right place to ask for help on this?
I want to have a try at editing some DVD-R's that I recorded from TV.
It's for an elderly relative and I recorded some episodes of her favourite sitcom.
Used DVD-R's on a Panasonic DVD recorder.
She finds it difficult to skip through the ad breaks and the bits between programs.
I just want to create a new DVD-R with the ads etc edited out.
Thought it would be easy on a Mac Mini but I'm having no luck.
I've installed DVD Creator and ffmpegX but I can't see how to to get the DVD files into a format to be edited.
Can anyone point me to a simple, step-by-step guide?
I've Googled this but nothing seems to work.
Do I copy the .VOB files to HDD?
Rename them as .mpeg?
Is there software that will 'do' it for me?
Help!

You might have to use handbrake to extract the vob files to Mpeg before you edit them.

Try something like this, not sure if it works on DVD's.

If looking for more use OSX remove commercials in Google to search for relevant links.

The thing I have found with a Mac compared to a PC is some simple things seem more difficult :)
I used to chop and cut MPEGs on a PC quite easily but so far have yet to find a simple program to do the same on the Mac.
I would prefer to try before I buy so am a bit loathed to pay for something that then doesn't work as intended.
I use EyeTV that records in an MPEG format from an external Sat Free box

EyeTV Sat Free | elgato.com

The EyeTV software allows removal of commercials etc and is pretty quick to do so on my Mac Mini.
However I normally just watch anything I have recorded back on the Mac Mini and have yet to try then creating a DVD that will play on a stand alone DVD player.
MAYBE the MPEG file from EyeTV will work in iMovie but like I said I have yet to try it for SD recordings but iMovie certainly doesn't want to know when it comes to anything I have recorded in HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom