1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 'Dynamic' control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Garfield, May 10, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you guys managed to tame the 'dynamic' beast or do you just turn it all off.

You listen away to glorious surround immersed in the movie then KABOOOOM - ROAR - and you leap for the remote before the people two doors away complain (never mind next door).

Not to mention getting over the sudden adrenaline boost !!

So whats the score? I like the dynamic as it gives a 'range' to the listening and stops it being flat (hard to explain) but really in some movies it is too much - in others you never notice it. How do you overcome this?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    This is what "Dynamic Range Compression" and to some extent, "Night Mode" on decoders are for. It's also related to the actual equipment you're listening through, one of the aspects I like the most about my Marantz 7400 is it's ability to convey dialogue without having to fiddle with the volume controls, a good centre speaker also does wonders. :)

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't get me wrong the speech is perfect no probs, I can listen to 95% of my movies without touching anything.

Some movies though Star Wars II last night for instance have some sections that are just mindblowing, all was going fine till Amidalas space craft explodes on the landing pad near the beginning :eek: - I thought a truck had crashed into the house .... I swear I felt the impact ....

All the speakers I use are a match not only from the same manufacturer but the same range (Acoustic Energy Aesprit, 2*309 fronts, 1 307 Centre, 2 * 300 Rears[not compacts] - and soon a JMLabs SW33a sub).

Specs are :-

309 Floor Standers
    200 Watt Power Handling
    Frequency Response 37Hz - 23kHz
    90.5dB Sensitivity​

307 Centre
    150 Watt Power Handling
    Frequency Response 55Hz - 23kHz
    90dB Sensitivity​

300 Rears
    150 Watt Power Handling
    Frequency Response 40Hz - 23kHz
    87.5dB Sensitivity

Driven by a Pioneer VSX-1014-S THX certified amp, 130W per channel. System has been both balanced and EQ'd using the auto setup.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In that case the dynamic range compression and night mode are about the only options available. Or just listen more quietly in the first place, unfortunately this is the option I generally have to go with as I'm in shared accomodation but at least I know my system could let rip if I was the only person in the street! :)

5. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem, DTS is impossible. i have drc to max midnight listening on, but the gap between vocal and effects is massive.
    I've heard drc is a dolby thing and wont do anything to dts.

the amp is a vsx ax3, the dvd is an arcam dv79, the speakers are q1s left & right a q9c centre and 2 eggs as surround.
    If any one knows away to help me from getting lynched by neighbours please help

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's true so your first step should be to use the DD soundtrack with DRC enabled if you're having trouble. :)

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Although i don't have any of these options on my decoder, i've certainly found that since acoustic treatment of my room it's brought movies that have sounded flat and "dead" to life.

Much more knowledable folk on this board will be able to confirm this technically, but I'm wondering if is there the chance that the room is lending itself to cause this flatness with the option switched off?

8. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    thats the idea of acoustic treatment, to cure the short-comings of the room to allow the sound to arrive to you as its supposed to, not coloured by the room. One of the advert straplines we used was Listen to the Music, Not the room....it still holds true today!

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Depends on the disc and it's encoding and also if your Amp will allow it. The only DTS discs that I've found that will let you use DRC are the Rambo Trilogy DTS Region 1. Amp at the time was a Denon 3801.