1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD DV78? 79? 88Plus? or 27? 27 Plus?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by panda88, Mar 7, 2005.

1. panda88

panda88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there everyone (esp the folks from Canada!)...

I've been lurking in the Arcam forum the past few weeks hoping that the hundreds of threads I've read would help me choose a quality DVD Arcam DVD player. As I've been reading, I've been getting more confused. I'm hoping that everyone here can provide me with the answers I'm seeking.
    I recently purchased a new HD Panasonic plasma 42" tv with HDMI input. I want to obtain a new DVD player, with the most important feature being that of picture quality (audio is secondary). I've been tossing up a few different models that Arcam makes: DV78, DV79, DV88 Plus, (also the FMJ DV27/Plus, or A..but the price is rather prohibitive...!). I've read a great deal about the Silicon Image chip and how it is better than the Faroujda chip.
    My questions are as follows:

1. Does the DV88 Plus have the Silicon Image Chip?
    2. The DV78 does not have surround sound processing, does this mean that it will not decode all the 5 or 7 channel dvd's? ...or do I only need the decoding built into the pre-processor. I own the Rotel 1068 pre-processor.
    3. Is the picture quality of the DV78 equal to that of the DV79?
    4. How does the DV88 Plus compare to the DV78 or DV79?

I am more than willing to simply use the component inputs on my tv. HDMI is nice...but if the picture quality is not going to be significantly improved by using the HDMI port, then I'm not concerned. DVD Audio is not important. Audio (2channel) is important, however. I have been able to A/B compare the DV79 to my Diva CD92, and the CD92 is audibly better. I would consider the DV27 (Plus or "A"...depending on which one has the Silicon Image Chip) if the audio quality was up to par with my CD92. I would only be able to afford the DV27 series if I were to sell my cd player!

Any input would be helpful.
    panda88 in Canada

2. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes.

The DV78 doesn't have analog surround decoding but does pass all the standard surround formats via digital output to a pre-processor or receiver.

They seemed very similar if not identical over progressive component when I a-b'd them. However, full discolsure: the DV79 also has HDMI and I wasn't able to test during the short period when I had both units on loan.

I have the CD72 (not the CD92) and 27A. I was and am happy with the CD72 and have continued using it in my pure-audio rig even though I think that the 27A's two-channel audio is somewhat better. (The setups are in different rooms and I didn't feel that the 27A was so much better that I needed to upgrade the CD72. It also probably doesn't hurt that the CD72 plays through Thiels instead of Linns. Everything sounds better through the Thiels, but they aren't wall-mountable. But I digress...)

All that said, a quick plug for the 27A: on my display (a Sony XBR CRT that outweighs me), the 27A had dramatically better picture quality than the 78/79 and the audio is pretty darn nice, too. We've been very happy with it and other than endless fussing with the bass management, we haven't looked back.

3. dav-t

dav-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I,m not 100% certain but I,ve been led to believe the dv 88plus has the zoran vaddis v chip onboard.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I was about to suggest that you try www.overture.co.uk and see if they still have some 27A players in stock for £950, but if you're in Canada I guess that's not a good option. :)

That's debatable. Many people think Sil chips are better for film material but Faroudja is better for video.

No.

The following players have the Sil board:

DV88P
    DV27
    DV27+
    DV27A

The following do not have it:

DV88
    DV88+
    DV78
    DV79
    DV29

Any of the Arcam players can output a digital stream that an external processor (e.g. your Rotel) can decode into 5.1 or 6.1. The only time "surround sound processing" becomes significant is if you need the player to do the processing and feed the result through its analogue outputs (which you wouldn't, unless you're listening to a DVD-Audio music disc).

The DV27 is supposed to about as good as, but rather different from, the CD92. DV27+ or DV27A will be fractionally better. DV29 a bit better again.

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I bought my DV27 for it's 2 channel performance after trying a loan CD72 and reading that the DV27 was far better for 2 channel.
    The DV27 is the best CD player I've heard. Then again I try not to audition equipment too far out of my price range or I end up spending my ISA's!

I'm a DV27 owner considering trying to catch one of the last few DV27A's as I've read that the DV27 does not have the SI504 board and so is not quite as good as the DV27A.

Am I correct, and will I notice the difference on a 42" plasma?

Steve.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    You read wrong. :) The DV27 does have the Sil board. It's the Sil 503 rather than the 504 - but these are identical in function. The only difference is that the 504 was made on a 0.18 micron process rather than 0.35 and was thus slightly cheaper to make.

The differences between the DV27 and DV27A are:

1) The DV27A has the Vaddis V rather than Vaddis III processor. This slightly improves CD-playback, and also improves the picture a bit, but in a way that is more noticeable for interlaced output than progressive.

2) The DV27A can play DVD-Audio discs. (But not SACD).

3) You can (if you want) make the DV27A decode Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 itself and then feed the outputs through a 5.1-channel pre-amp, rather than using a separate processor. But you probably wouldn't want to - for starters, finding a decent 5.1-channel pre-amp isn't that easy, and the quality is also not as good as you'd get from a decent external processor.

The software on the DV27A is a little bit fancier - it responds quicker, and the setup menus are more complex and more elegant. But that's not all that significant.

7. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    NicolasB's listing is correct: I assumed "Plus" meant "P", not "+".