DVD Drive pinouts?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ronnie101, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Ronnie101

Ronnie101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba RD-XS30 which uses a Matsush*ta (ie JVC/Panasonic) DVD RAM drive, which is showing the standard fault of most Panasonic DVD recorders of that age of failing to record DVD-RAM disks after the machine is about 2 years old.

I have a working DVD-RAM drive from a JVC DVD recorder, but it uses the standard back end connector used in PCs - the 40-pin IDE/ATA connector. The Panasonic drives use a 40-pin ribbon cable coming out of the side of the drive.

The IDE/ATA connector pinout can be found at http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_IDE.html but does anyone know where I can find the pin-out of the Panasonic drives, to make an adaptor with?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It may not work anyway, if they are anything like the Pioneer's it may need a service remote control or software disc in order to register the drive for use with CPRM.

I have the pinouts for a Pioneer recorder, they are likely the same, will look them out.

Regards

Phil

3. Ronnie101

Ronnie101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing I thought of was that the Hard Disk drive in the RD-XS30 uses the standard IDE connector and cable - so I wondered if I might be able to replace the 2-connector cable with a 3-connector cable from a PC and run the DVD drive off the same cable as the HDD, like you can do Master/Slave drives on a PC.

It would largely depend on whether Toshiba reinvented the wheel by making their own circuitry or whether they just used standard PC chips.