1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive/disc compatibility

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MAW, Apr 15, 2002.

1. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi, I've just encountered a problem playing a hired disc, Space cowboys R2 in fact. My drive doesn't recognise the disc at all, not shown in 'my computer'. As it happens, I have same issue with a disc in my own collection, 'Merlin' a film4 production. I can play both in my laptop, so the discs are OK, I have another PC, the kids' which won't also, not such a problem there, just interesting. I'm assuming I should get a new drive, I see a pioneer slot loading drive mentioned, is that the recommended? OK for multiregion I assume? The existing drive is by fujitsu I think, I hadn't really thought about it before, it was just there and appeared to work.... PC is a carrera athlon based system I've made a few mods to to improve sound and graphics quality. I ought to start from scratch maybe, but not this week!
    Advice appreciated, Martin

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Martin,

If in doubt, go for a Pioneer 106s (or the new replacement model - not sure of number - 107s probably!). You can get a firmware hack that'll allow you to play everything, including RCE discs. It can run nice & quiet too with a piece of software that's available on the Pioneer website.

Cheers

Mark.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There is a Pioneer 106 s2, it's used in the Linn Kivor HDD system.

I suspect that it is the latest version of the 106.