DVD Drive Cracking my CD's

aventhusiast

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My DVD drive has put a crack in two discs now. First it was my Battlefield 2 DVDROM, I got really annoyed with myself as I thought I must have sat on it & was at the same time 100% sure I had'nt/could'nt have. Now im really :mad: as an identical crack has appeared on my 6 month old Copy of Windows XP which set me back about £100 :mad::mad::mad:.

The cracks start from the inner hole of the disc and are about 1" long, both discs are now unreadable.

Has anyone else had this problem? What should I do? I would like replacement discs but who do I approach, the Drive manufacturer or Software manufacturers for producing inferior disc's. I am thinking of phoning microsoft & explaining the situation to see if they will send me a replacement if I post them my cracked disk.

Any ideas/experience with this would me most helpful.

Thanks

Decadent Fool

I would approach both, and offer to return the damaged media to MS so they see you're not pulling a fast one.

I've never heard of disks being cracked, so definately get in touch with the drive manufacturers, keep a copy of all correspondence to show MS as proof.

ducattigezzer

agree with the decadent fool about trying to get them returned

but it is a comon problem with drives today

here's a explanation

http://www.mscience.com/faq34.html

you can turn down the speed of your drive depending on what software you use

aventhusiast

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try Microsoft first tommorow. I'll post with what they have to say, seems a bit of a grey area so it's anybodys guess if the will co-operate or blame the DVD Drive.

Meanwhile..... :confused::suicide::mad::(:thumbsdow:nono: lol

Decadent Fool

I think the secret is offering to return the damaged media, to demonstrate you're not taking the micky; good luck, and looking forward to hearing what they say :)

aventhusiast

Thanks Decadent.

I phoned Microsoft & they have told me to contact the manufacturer of my PC as it came bundled with that. :rolleyes: A job for tomorrow, nothing is ever simple lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom