DVD Distortion ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mooky, Oct 20, 2003.

1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had my old Toshiba 2109b for years and using it through a stereo AMP i've just bought my first AV amp and speakers and have it all hooked up. I'm very impressed with the sound i'm getting but started to notice a little distortion on voices in particular at the high end frequency when somebody shouts. At first I feared my new AMP or speakers so I tried the following.

1. First listened to DVD showing distortion through headphones on AMP. Distortion present, so not speakers.

2. Listened closely to audio through TV speakers via scart from DVD player. Distortion present. So not AMP.

3. Finally, listened to audio through headphones from TV, via scart from DVD. Distortion present.

So, since the distortion is present via scart *OR* via the coax link to my AMP the only thing I can point to at fault is my DVD player. Has anybody else seen something like this before in a DVD player?

Mark.

P.S i've tried a number of DVD's. Distortion is not present in all DVD's and where it is present it happens rarly, usually when somebody is shouting loudly.

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've noticed exactly the same distortion, strangely enough with a Toshiba (SD200E) dvd player.

Fear not though, it is the discs NOT the player.

I noticed the problem on 'The Heist' disc and did similar tests to you, even connecting the player via phono leads to the amp. I tried the disc on my brother's player (Toshiba SD220) and exactly the same distortion appeared.

I've now played the disc on my Panasonic dvd recorder and the distortion is still there so its not a Toshiba problem.

Dvd's with distortion on that I've noticed are The Heist, Toy Story 2, Blade and one or two others. I guess dvds aren't as 'perfect' as we've been lead to believe although I suspect it is individual discs with the problem not all the ones of a particular film.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    Is it possible that the output from the DVD player (with certain discs, perhaps) is overloading the input preamp on the amplifier. If your amp has an input level attenuator, try trimming it a little.

4. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, as I said, the distortion is *STILL* there when listening through the TV via Scart, where the AMP isn't involved.

Rolo, thanks for the response. I was beginning to come to that conclusion, although in some ways I was hoping it was my DVD player, as i'm about to replace it for a Pioneer DV-565a :)

I guess, just like I sort of came to an epiphany with CD audio and the fact that some CD's are recorded better and sound better than others, so DVD's are the same. It's interesting that the worst culprits are TV shows to DVD and the best sounding are usually the blockbusters. I think you're right Rolo.

Mark.