vergil777

Standard Member
Reaction score
Could any of the members give me some advice on how to

send dvd disks abroad by air-mail to avoid the disks being

corrupted while going through airport scans , I have sent two

disks recently to the United States but on both occasions

these disks were wiped out or corrupted when they were

received by the recipients , Please help.

Are you sure the discs were corrupted? It's far more likely that the person at the other end couldn't read the discs either due to his equipment or the way you formatted the discs.

Just sending DVDs through the post does not corrupt or wipe optical discs.

Hi 777,

I wouldn't think that the scanners would damage the discs, this would mean the discs I have ordered from the States would also be ruined, which they weren't. I suspect you are sending region 2 PAL discs to a country that is Region 1 NTSC. The two systems are not compatible.

Airport scanners (X-rays) shouldn't have any effect on DVD's.

this is a long shot but.... Could the disk have been exposed to extreme temperatures? i'm not sure what the tolerance is for DVD-R's. You'd expect them to be able to hold their data between -15 and +50c.

The temperature would need to be excessive. I live in Saudi Arabia and have CD's in the CD player (autochanger). In-car temperature during the day exceeds 60 degrees (without the A/C running) and the CD's happily play without a problem.

Look for the problem elsewhere.

vergil777 said:
Could any of the members give me some advice on how to

send dvd disks abroad by air-mail to avoid the disks being

corrupted while going through airport scans , I have sent two

disks recently to the United States but on both occasions

these disks were wiped out or corrupted when they were

received by the recipients , Please help.

UK TV standards are different from those in the US. Hence DVD's made for PAL reception in the UK might not work on NTSC sets in the US.

Do you have to format all dvd disks before any recording ,

could these disks not be played in the United States with a

multi-region dvd player ?.

vergil777 said:
Do you have to format all dvd disks before any recording ,

could these disks not be played in the United States with a

multi-region dvd player ?.

No you don't have to format discs (unless you are talking about a RW disc that you are going to packet write onto). With DVDR, they effectively get formatted as you write them for the first time.

Multi region is different from the broadcast standard. Regions locks are to only allow DVD players to play discs with the same region. It's supposed to stop people buying movies cheaply from abroad, or even before the movie has come out in a particular region.

PAL and NTSC are the standard for the actual movie itself (ie the content). These two different standards covering the size and framerates of the movies. NTSC is used in the States, and PAL is used in Europe. The main thing is that most modern Euro equipment will play both PAL and NTSC, whereas most US equipment only plays NTSC.

What most people in this thread are guessing is that you sent your friend in the US a PAL movie, which they can't play because they have a NTSC player and TV. The ideal test for this is if they see if they can play it on a PC. If they can, then this is most likely the issue. They would then have to recode the movie using one of the many conversion tools to convert it from PAL to NTSC, and write it back onto a fresh disc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom