DVD disc quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pip_UK, May 5, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched The Pledge (Region 2) starring Jack Nicholson last night. The picture quality was comparable to AI (Region 1) using progressive scan.

Can anyone explain this? I presumed that all DVD discs followed some form of internallionally set standards on recording.

Pip

2. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pip,

The 11HT's so called 'deinterlacing' on PAL (DRC-MF) is actually pretty good. Whereas the picture quality of AI (R1) is not the usual clean and clear image that you would expect of a Spielberg movie. It is a grainy picture but, not having seen the film at the cinema, I am not sure if it was deliberately shot that way.

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Transfers do vary dramatically. It is still a bit of a black art and requires considerable skill to do well. For an example of how not to do it, check out the R2 version of Caddyshack.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pip: if you take a look around most DVD review sites, you'll notice that The Pledge is considered by many to be a 'reference' disc and is not far away from Superbit quality.

AI on the other hand is known for being less than was expected in terms of PQ.

"I presumed that all DVD discs followed some form of internallionally set standards on recording."

You would think wouldn't you? However, you couldn't be further from the truth... just look at how many discs have problems across different players.

Most record companies still don't even produce CDs to 'The Red Book' benchmarks so there's little hope yet for DVDs, which have an even less rigid standardisation protocol.

5. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Juboy ... I didn't know this ... I will take a look at some DVD review sites

Cheers,

Pip