DVD demo discs - what and where?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by portyporty, Jan 9, 2008.

1. portyporty

portyporty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks. Just finished putting together a Sony 5.1 home theater system (after much input from AVForum gurus :) and I'm really pleased with the result.

Now I'd like to run some interesting media through it to show off its capabilities.

I guess there must be DVDs made especially for this purpose, but I've never seen any offered for sale or download. Advice on what to get and where to get it would be much appreciated :)

2. kjarri

kjarri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmm... Demo disc? Personally, I'd just get the 5.1 releases of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Queen's A Night at the Opera.

On a more on-topic note though, have you checked out http://www.demo-world.eu/ ? Google told me about it.

3. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422

Interesting that, thanks.

Where do you actually buy them from??

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Moved to movies/dvd :)

5. kjarri

kjarri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    T2 has a Lucas THX Optimisier on it.

Liam

7. portyporty

portyporty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your comments, folks, very helpful.

Kjarri - a couple of dumb questions about Demoworld's downloads:

I assume that these 'trailers' are DVD clips? Which I can burn to DVD with my computer's Liteon DVD writer? And then play on my lounge HT system DVD player? My system has no link to my to my computer.

Also, I see that Demoworld's trailers are categorized into groups: Dolby Trailers, DTS Trailers, THX Trailers etc, as well as WMV, Apple and Quicktime.

The last three, WMV, Apple and Quicktime, would be more suitable for use on a computer, wouldn't they?

8. kjarri

kjarri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think most the trailers, except the quicktime ones(which mostly seem to be links to official movie webpages) are .vob files, that you can burn directly to dvd. Nero would work fine.

The files are all compressed using rar, so you'll need a program to unrar it. I Like 7-zip but WinRar and others will work just as fine.

Just so you know, I've only tried a few files there and watched it on my computer screen, so I don't really know much about the quality of the clips there. Let us know how it works out.

9. portyporty

portyporty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The clips seem to be a fairly mixed bunch and some are very brief (under a minute) but there are a few that I think might be interesting.

I've downloaded about a dozen files from the 'THX' and 'Dolby' sub-groups, all of which turned out to be .vobs. I can view them on my computer OK, but my next question (which you seem to have already answered above) was to be, 'If I burn these vobs to a DVD, will my lounge Pioneer player recognize and play them?'

So that's my next move. One thing I'm not sure of, is what'll happen when I load the disc. Obviously I won't see a menu, so I assume that the clips will just play automatically and sequentially?

10. kjarri

kjarri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your Pioneer should be able to play burned dvds, if you create them correctly.

what dvd burning program will you use? I know the bigger programs, like Nero, allow you to create menus. You should be able to select which clips will play and in what order. I really have no idea how complicated it would be, and I can't test it since I'm at work and don't have Nero here.

11. portyporty

portyporty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll probably use Cyberlink Power2Go for the burning as it's my current favorite. I've used Nero for years but, like a lot of software, the latest versions have got bloated, buggy and ponderous.

However, as an IT guy I have access to pretty much any software I want, so if there's a prog that's more suitable for this job, I've either already got it or can get it.

Maybe I'll just whack these clips onto a DVD and see what happens :)

Interesting - I just called my local Sony supplier and asked the guy what demo discs they used in their showroom, thinking I might look for the same thing. But he said that their head office techs have created their own demos, so I guess they've basically done what I'm trying to do.......