1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decryptor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pcpaz, Nov 21, 2002.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have backup one of my DVD's to hard drive using this tool and merged all the VOB files into one.

However when I playback the movie from hard drive the menu does not work, I have tried this is PowerDVD XP and WinDVD, both with the same result.

Is there a way around otherwise?

2. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Decryptor is an excellent piece of software for backing up your DVD collection on hard disk. However, in my experience it required several abortive attempts before I was able to get PowerDVD to run the ripped movie in hard disk mode. The following steps should get you started.

1. With DVD Decryptor in file mode select "all" files and rip to hard disk. Do not merge the VOB files. PowerDVD will play the movie in hard disk mode and will include all menues and features. In my experience the "movie only" option does not work with PowerDVD. Some contributors to this forum say WinDVD will run a DVD ripped using the "movie only" option.

2. To strip out unwanted features I use "IfoEDIT". There are various guides for using IfoEDIT on the web but I have found that no single guide is abslolutely fool proof. Read as many as you can find if you want to be sure of success. Using IfoEDIT you can reduce the size of your DVD backup file to the minimum required to retain the main movie, your chosen audio stream and the data required to navigate between chapters. For a short film this can reduce the file size to less than 4GB.

Good luck

Epithet.

3. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Epithet writes DVD Decrypter is excellent and if you rip in file mode (and select all files) you just need to point Powerdvd (I'm running version (XP4.0) at the resulting VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

For selective 'ripping' I've found the following also works:
    1) use IFO mode in DVD Decrypter to select what you want to rip. Note that if you select a DTS soundtrack (usually stream 0x89) you'll need to 'map' this to stream 0x88 or you'll end up with no sound.
    2) Either play the resulting VOB file direct with Powerdvd or..
    3) use IFOEDIT and it's ability to 'Create IFO's' - this creates a new VIDEO_TS.IFO file that you can point Powerdvd to for full chapter access etc.
    4) Note that you'll need to rename any VTS_0x_y.VOB file to VTS_01_y.VOB if you rip anything other than the first Video Title Set on the disk (for example the Region 2 Monsters Inc main feature is VTS_04 and so you need to rename the resulting VOB files from VTS_04_1.VOB to VTS_01_1.VOB)

Cheers, Phil

4. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Epithet and Halephil for your help, I will give IFOedit a go, can you recommend any sites where I can get a good guide for this tool?

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    www.doom9.org has a guide on IfoEdit and forums dedicated to it too.

6. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to Desmo's recommendation, try the following.

http://www.hkruse.dircon.co.uk/

But leave out the steps that use ReMpeg, there for the advanced ripper. You'll get there eventually.

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    Just had a quick look at Epithet's link and although it will work fine, I still prefer the doom guide. With doom's guide it tells you how to look at the VOB ID's too. Not all of these are needed if you just want the film, allowingyou to chuck away even more uneeded info.

e.g. VOB ID 1 may contain the film makers logo whilst VOB ID 2 may contain the actual film.
    You can therefore chuck away VOB ID 1 to save space.

This is just a rough example but it shows the kind of thing you can find in the various VOB ID's.

8. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the menus to work like a treat but not with DVD Decrytor I have started using smart ripper, cool!!

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    Paz, glad to see you're up and running now but having re-read your original post I can seen where the original problem lies. It's merging all the VOB's into one. The menu could be looking for VOB 2_2 etc. but it doesn't exist any more as it's been merged into VOB 1_1. You can change the setting in DVD Decryptor to not merge VOB files.