1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD decoding help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AKklaim, Dec 13, 2002.

1. AKklaim

AKklaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony DVP Ns400D DVD Player and am going to connect it to a 5.1/DTS reciever but the player has a built in 5.1 decoder inside. Will the reciever automatically do the decoding if i connect these together or do i have to disable the decoding in the dvd player as i have heard that the decoding in dvd players is not as good as receivers any help would be appreciated ;)

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hook it up with an optical/coax cable,sorted. :)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The notion that decoding in a DVD player being inferior to that of an av receiver/processor is absolute bunk, and here's why:

No digital signal path; hence, no need for the crystal clocks in the two devices to be synchronised (which you might as well toss a coin for BTW). This means lower jitter, which means BETTER SOUND.

Many companies use precisely the same DD/DTS decoding chipsets in their DVD players as they do their av amps; for instance I bet you real money the Denon A1 player has the same decoding as their flagship AV receiver. Of course you won't necessarily get all the post-processing (which I abhore anyway), but this fact coupled with the one above means...BETTER SOUND!

The two main factors are: quality of decoding chipset + quality of analogue output stages after that.

I guess the message here is (like with most things!) - try it both ways!

Just because you read a sweeping statement like "DVD players have pap onboard decoding" don't necessarily make it so!

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The other side of the one box solution to digital decoding is that clocks and associated jitter are still involved in on-board processing via a DVD player,and the electrically noisy environment of most DVD players,especially,but not exclusively at the cheaper end of the market is often associated with amazing levels of jitter,certianly well into the audible level.
    Most off-board processors,and certainly all quality ones,reclock the data using somewhat more accurate clocks.
    As his Dudeness says though,it all comes down to the quality of the decoding chipset and the associated pre- and power amp stages after.

Also debatable whether or not you'd detect all this in the midst of your average film soundtrack!