DVD Deck for Philips 32PF9986

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by reklor, Dec 11, 2004.

1. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Hi. Im thinking of upgrading my Sony 930 player to something that can take advantage of the DVI in on my set (32PF9986). Any sugestions?........I know Philips has a new DVI enabled SACD deck coming out soon but any other alternatives???.....Denon???

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Denon DVD-1910 (approx £220) with a 2 metre Supra DVI-DVI cable (approx £40) and getting some excellent results at 1080i and 576p and 720p (although at 720p you get a border round round the picture - this isn't a fault, it is the Philips displaying a pixel-match 1280x720 picture within its 1366x768 panel - the result is superb, but obviously means a slightly smaller picture. It also seems to bypass most of the TVs processing and removes the slight overscan). There is no border at 576p or 1080i. The other point to note is that at 720p or 1080i you can only view in Wide Screen mode. For 4:3 material you need to switch to 576p (or use RGB Scart).
    Incidentally, I have not noticed any "macroblocking" which has been reported on some players with this chipset - whether I am just not aware of it, or whether it is not there, I am unsure - but either way I have been happy so far with the set up.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add that I am using the 37" version of the PF9986 - but the comments apply to all sizes of this model AFAIK.

4. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    cheers bud some great comments there. If you could just give me an idea of what to expect - Im using RGB at the mo and the pictures are REALLY nice (90% due to Pixel Plus 2, 10% due to resolution differences over my 36" Tosh CRT). What differences shall i expect with DVI???.........is it touching HDTV or is that totaly different? (as you can tell im aware of technology but not 100% SURE). Thank you very much in advance...

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult to describe, but definitely more "filmic", more subtle than RGB. Also, the better the source, the greater the difference. Recent DVDs like "Star Wars", "Spider-Man 2" and the new extended "Return Of The King" definitely stand out. For all it's benefits, Pixel Plus 2 does create an artificial gloss with movie material - so going progressive through DVI is more accurate, and I've found it more satisfying. I was thinking of posting some pictures, but I don't think my digital camera can capture the subtleties!

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't very scientific, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I set up my digital camera about a foot away from the Philips LCD - froze the picture on the DVD and switched between RGB Scart (with Pixel Plus 2) and 1080i via DVI. This is a close up from the snow battle in The Empire Strikes Back.
    The top image seems to have more grain and the bottom image is smoother (ignore the stripes on the top image, that is a little moire caused by the camera - it wasn't visible to the naked eye). I realise that these TVs are best viewed at the correct distance, but this illustrates the difference in pictures. By the way, have you worked out which is which?! http://www.adfx.demon.co.uk/empireLCD.htm

7. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Thanks very much mate. That is a serious difference in my opinion. Ive just got a 1905 Reciever so a 1910 DVD could be in order...

Great pics Alan, thank you. :D