DVD Database

D

DaveP

My collection is nearing 200 at a fast rate. I am now not sure whether or not I already own some DVDs!

I need to document them. I've tried DVD Profiler and, although it is wonderful for what it does, I need an "Always On" internet connection, which I haven't got.

Can anyone recommend something else for me? Ideally I need it to recognise titles as I write them, in the same way that DVD Progiler does.

This is not vital of course, I just need something that can sort on title really!

I suppose a spreadsheet would do but I'm no Excel expert!

Suggestions then please,

Thanks

DaveP

I used DVD Profiler for years before I got an 'always on' internet connection, is this a requirement of the new version 2.0 or something?

In the options for v2.0 there is an 'online' tab, which gives you the option to establish the internet connection or use dial-up networking. If you select dial-up networking I can't see why you'd need a broadband connection...

I am not sure what your requirements are but either a simple excel sheet or a access database would seem the answer.

Elaborate on your requirements

i use vers 2 of DVD Profiler and it does NOT require an always on connection, it's a fantastic and FREE piece of software. You won't do better.

I moved from a spreadhseet to DVDprofiler.

I can't see why you need a permanent connection. Yes it asks to when you add a title to refresh, but you can say no!

Thanks for th efeedback,

I must be doing something wrong!

I'll have another look tonight. From what I remember, when I started to add a DVD title it immediately brought up the dial up networking connection. I cancelled that and I wan't able to get any further. My other problem may be due to the fact I'm trying to run it on a 233Mhz laptop!

DaveP

Go to Tools>Options and then set your default region and location - this then enables you to change the rest of your options, including one which allows you to set dial-up preferences. Go to 'Online' and change it to 'I will establish the connection'.

Now it will only dial up when you tell it to..

As a database developer I have created my own using MS Access.
PM me if you are interested in a copy of my db which I can customize to sut you.

Thanks for the offer Kevo, If I still cant get on with DVD Profiler I'll try and get a copy of Access and then get back to you.

Cheers

Dave

I use MS Excel and have never heard of DVD profiler.:(

Is it any good?

Did someone mention it was free, where can I get this from.

Advance thanks for helping a novice.:clown:

Excel is a spreadsheet prog and not v good for storing records of any kind. Best to avoid it.

XL's not too bad - it did me for a couple of years 'til I was pointed towards DVDp.

its OK for dropdown autofilters etc, not so good for scans of the covers tho

If you don't mind spending money ($25) this one looks quite good:http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

Kevo, perhaps you could knock something up like this??;)

I like the way you can take all the dvds out of folders to get an alphabetical list and with a click put them back into categories! Keeps them neat and tidy.

Thanks again guys.

DaveP

Originally posted by DaveP
Kevo, perhaps you could knock something up like this??;)

No probs, already have something v similar at home.

I was going to put it on our intranet at work for sharing and implement a 'loan system' but me and a colleague thought better of it as we would be the only ones loaning out and not getting much back in return.

Originally posted by BrewMonster
I used to use that but I found that it was a pain manually entering all the special feature by hand. DVDProfiler does that all for you.

Rich

I agree, just downloaded it - yuck.

dvdp is much much better - and you don't have to register unless you want hi-res pictures - which I do and so I did :)

For anyone who are interested the original db I created stored the following.....

Title
Region Code
Genre
Classification
Audio Format
Aspect Ratio
Sleeve Pic
Comments
DVD Type (i.e. Dual layer etc)

DVDs Wanted and a 'Xmas List'.

You could search on genre, title, keyword.

Dolby Digital, pro-logic and DTS logos would automatically appear on screen and reports for relevant records.

It showed stats for each region, genres, aspect ratio and sound formats.

Print outs could include all regions or by region, incl. pics or not

Pics are stored as links and not in the actual db so as to save space.
Though you have to download them yourself and then somply point to the file path in the db.

I decided not to include things like Actors or Directors as I felt this would turn it into a movie database rather than a DVD database.

I have since removed the fields Genre, Classification and DVD Type as they served no real purpose to me.

I still have the original version and can customize it to suit.
It runs on MS Access 97 and 2000.

Well let's put it down to user error! I tried DVD profiler again and what I was doing wrong was adding one DVD at a time instead of building a big list of pending additions!

This meant a two minute wait for every DVD while the database initialise and the it insists on going on-line when I click the add now button. I cannot seem to find a away to stop this. This is a minor inconvenience though. I've input my entire collection now so it should be plain sailing from now on.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, especially Kevo for his offer, I'm now a happy bunny!

One last question for you profiler experts though: Is the only way to add a non-listed DVD to add by the bar code number?

DaveP

When you go into add a dvd it initially comes up with the UPC screen. If you look at the screen though you will see some tabs the first of which is Add by EAN (ie bar code). The next tab is Add By Title, and also if you have a DVD drive with a DVD inserted the last tab (add by Disc ID) will read the DVD a look it up itself.

remember dvdprofiler tries to connect everytime you use it to update the database of releases on your PC, otherwise it wouldn't recognise any new releases when you enter their details. this can take ages on a dial-up if you only make additions infrequently, however if you update the database say once a fortnight it only takes a minute or two.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom