1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd damage

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by H4r7y, Jan 14, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just received a dvd which was traded on these forums, now theres a small chip out of the centre of the disc and a hair line crack about 2mm in length going into the dvd itself. what im wondering is that if i play the disc, would i be likely to have it explode in my dvd drawer or would it be ok as the player doesnt spin it really fast?
    ive had a pc cd rom like this before and it did wreck my cd drive by smashing into tiny bits as it was spinning.
    any help with this would be great as i would really like to keep the dvd but im worried about breaking my player.

cheers

h4r7y

:)

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have the same problem on my L.O.T.R.f.o.t.r ive only watched it once but i have lent it to family of which has many eager =small boys hmmm might send them on a day trip to wing 43, but then again i have a good reason to buy the E.E

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funnily enough its on a fotr with me too, do you think it would effect playback and be safe? or would it be best to get rid of it

4. funkyg

funkyg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or how about you run a copy, and only play the copy? My little girl scratched her Toy Story 1&2 discs really badly, so I have now copied all of her DVD's and only let her play the copies.
    BTW if any one has any scratched DVD's try looking here.
    http://hometown.aol.co.uk/funhouse03/myhomepage/business.html

It's a company that repair scratched DVD's/CD's. Thier service was excellent. If they can't repair it, they don't charge you.

Mike.

5. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought that it was only my Lord of the Rings DVD that this happened to. I blamed the clip that holds the disc in place as I have notice that with some of my other movies that this hold clip puts a lot of force on the disc when taking it out of putting it back in.
    Funny that its the LOTR that we all seem to be having tuouble with.

6. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought LOTR TT from a member here and there was a large crack accross almost all of the disc surface. I think the clips on the flap does it, ive swapped the movie disc into the back clip now so I hope it doesnt break again, doesnt really bother me if the specials disc breaks.

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i have this problem with my 'Star Wars EpII' DVD, it has a 3mm split on the center hub.

I have a Pioneer slot loading 105 DVD drive in my HTPC. After the disc came out of the drive it was really warm, and placing it back in the case while warm repeatedly over time i think has caused the damage.

So now if i do use the DVD drive in the HTPC, i place the disc on the the side, until it has cooled down and then put back in it's case.

As stated in this thread about scratched disks, i use toothpaste and VERY gently polish out the worst of the scratch. Ok it's not ideal, but at least i can play scratched disks again without problems with jumping & skipping, and copy them over to the HD in the HTPC just to be safe.

What's your thoughts on this ??

Cheers

Cosmic023