1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-D cable comparison

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Drew2, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is a short comparison of two DVI cables that I have.

The first is the standard cable that came with my PC.
    The second is a recently bought IXOS AV cable.

First impressions about the cable:

The IXOS is a far more rigid cable and I don't think it's down to the fact that it has an 8mm diameter cable compared to the 7mm computer cable. More likely it's to do with the internal construction.

The terminals look identical & suspect that they are manufactured by the same company. The outer shielding has a different design but looking at the quality of the casting on the terminal and pressing I think I can safely say that they are indeed the same.

The IXOS has a 24k gold coating and when plugged into the DVD player & projector it felt noticeably tighter verging on an 'interference fit'.

Both cables seem to be directional with the IXOS having arrow heads printed on the PVC sleeving and the PC cable having 'PC' printed on one terminal end.

The PC cable is 18pin & the IXOS is 24 pin - assume the additional six are earths! That should help the PQ.

I also happen to like the colour of the IXOS, being dark silver - looks nice with my set-up.

Secondary impressions:

Too follow - will be viewing some movies tonight to hopefully see an improvement!

Attached Files:

2. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Picture perfect, have finally found the image I've been looking for...

The detailing just got more refined the picture quality is a lot cleaner producing no visible graininess.

Black levels are 'oily black'

Clothing looks superb - can almost feel that texture!

Unfortunately most special effects are very noticeable - sprayed polystyrene ect......

However far superior to my local cinemas image which is out of focus - maybe helps disguise the above comment!

The big bonus, which has plagued me for nearly 2yrs is the vertical banding has disappeared from the image :clap:

I returned the projector just before the warranty was up to have it repaired for this issue. The factory returned it saying that they couldn't find much up with it and done a slight tweak to it. Now I believe that they fed it a digital signal from a high quality source!

Will now proceed with investing in a digital broadcasting DVD recorder as true HD must be dynamite looking!! Would like to find one with a DVI connection but would settle for the Panasonic DMR-EX100 if worst comes to worst(HDMI).

CONCLUSION:

The additional bucks to buy this cable has already paid for itself! Absolutely no regrets and highly recommended

If you haven't gone digital on your display - do it!! :)

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I reckon most people reading this would like to know how long the leads were, and if the expensive one actually produced a better picture or not!!!

Oh and what display you are using and what resolution the PC is sending to it! I would be interested to hear your opinions of the two anyway.

4. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The PC cable is 2m long (cost about 10quid) and the IXOS is 3m long (about 35quid)

I am connecting a Momitsu V880 to a Panasonic TH-AE500

The PC has a NVidia PCX 5750 128mb PCI 16 graphics card.

Both are outputting Wide720 1:1 pixel mapping. The 880 through a custom DVI menu the PC through a program called "Powerstrip"

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I found the IXOS cable to be far superior to the standard cable I was given with the PC.

To set the "picture" straight, originally I had the PC connected to the 500 using a 5m elcom DVI cable.
    When I got the 880 I connected it using the original 2m cable that came with the PC.
    I have now a 2m IXOS connecting the 880 to the 500.

Unfortunately I have no way of connecting the PC with the IXOS cable to the 500(without serious suspension work!), I would speculate that the picture quality might be much the same as the 880 output but the fan on the PC drives me "bonkers" so have no inclination to find out!

I am very happy with the 880 PQ :thumbsup: