1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD copies sound quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by nowonda, Oct 19, 2004.

1. nowonda

nowonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone.

got one little question...

from what i've read so far (not very much though...), original DVDs come with some kind of protection for sound quality. i don't know for sure if this is true or not. anyway.. if it is true, what about when you copy one DVD onto a blank one via a DVD writer? i mean.. if the original DVD had the sound coded DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1, when i'll play my copied DVD will i get the same soround sound quality? maybe not exactly the same quality. there could be lost bits or ****ty stuff like this. but i'm talking about soround sound.. DD and DTS x.1

hope anyone can help me. and sorry if what i wrote here it's just nonsense..

good day to you all!

2. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you pirate/copy dvds on a pc yes you do keep the surround mode DD5.1 DTS etc...

However piracy/ backing up etc. is frowned upon round here :nono:

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    When you backup a film the only thing that will degrade will be the picture quality and that is only if the original is too large to fit onto a dvdr.

You can remove audio and subtitle tracks when backing up a film but you cant decrease the quality of the audio tracks so if you keep the 5.1 and DTS tracks you will get identical sound tracks on the copy but the same cannot be said for the picture quality, some titles only need to be compressed by 5 or 10% to fit onto a dvdr and at that much compression you wont be able to notice the difference but when its comes to films like Lord of the Rings which are 3+ hours, they need quite alot of compression and this will cause the picture to degrade to that of VHS quality if that is a far comparrison.

4. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    well degrading a film to vhs quality is a bit far fetched
    scene rules demand that groups release an info file on their releases detailing the average bit rate of their releases
    examples can be found at nforce.nl
    I do not condone piracy, just giving an example, plus this is an info site only

5. nowonda

nowonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys.

got the picture :)

about piracy.. you can call it that way i guess.. though it's not some kind of "commercial" piracy. think it that way.. on a monthly venue around $200 and an original DVD priced around $30-40.. things aren't that nice looking from this point of view here in south-eastern europe :)

anyway... thanks for all. and any more information would be valued.

a nice day to you all av "forumists". :hiya:

6. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    is it illegal to back up a dvd that i own????

7. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't condone piracy but I do feel there's nothing wrong with making back-up copies for personal use. I personally do not even own a DVD writer however, it could be handy to knock off a copy of several films to take on holiday with you, so you don't have to worry about the original's getting scratched/Lost/stolen or whatever.