1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD copier ? ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Montana, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been reading a few posts here, and I wondered if you could help.I have a lot of DVD's that , if lost or damaged I could not replace.So I thought the best idea would be would be to back-up these titles for my own use, then not having to use the originals again.
    I have seen a particular piece of software called DVD X-COPY, it looks as though this would do the trick, but I would like you're opinon on this, and if there is other copiers that would be better, and why.I would want to keep the original PQ and SQ with all the menus and options, so I don't lose anything.
    I hope I have used the right forum, so if I haven't I apologise now:(

Andy

2. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
  3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Andy

Check out the link DrPepper has given above. DVDXCopy is without a doubt one of the easiest programs to use. Problem is though with any program you will undoubtedly have to use multiple discs for every original as burners can only cope with SS SL (4.7GB) discs whereas most originals are SS DL (9.4GB).

One thing I do is use DVDXCopy Xpress to burn the movie to a single DVD and TBH I have never yet managed to notice a drop in quality (although there obviously is in most cases). At least this way general film watching will not give any possible damage to the original disc. If I want to view the extras though (unusual) I still have to pull out the original.

Don't forget as well, that one other option is to use a HTPC and software such as DVD Decrypter.

HTH

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out DVD Shrink - awesome piece of s/ware. Very useful for analyising DVDs etc..

90% + DVDs won't fit on a single DVD-(+)r, for obvious reasons ;)

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you want some information overload on this subject go have a look at CDFreaks forums . :) ... in particular the "Transcoding Software Forum".

If you have an HTPC then one option is to rip the DVD to the hard disk and play it from there, domething like DVDDecryptor is all you'll need for that and it's free.

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah...... excellent software

You can author out all the things you don't need that waste precious disc space & even re-encode to get 171 mins feature on a DVD-R with surprisingly excellent quality.

& it's freeware :smashin:

If you want to copy all the extras & menus etc then eventually something will have to give & that will be quality.