1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Concerns

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stellavision, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have bought Ghost Ship and Gangs of New York on ebay recently and on arrival I found at the top of the cover was a logo saying: "DTS Digital Surround Sound"
    I felt something was no quite right about these dvd's.
    In fact I've just ordered Blue Crush on ebay and just realized it bears the same DTS logo, but on checking Play.com and Rewind.com the dvd is only advertised as Dolby digital.
    Has anyone come across these dvd's bearing this logo and how legit do you think they are?

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Are they Region Free? Sounds like Bootlegs ebay is full of them at the moment.

3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R1 of Gangs is DTS, but Ghost Ship ain't, as captaineyecatch said, bootlegs, or r3 or something.... What were they sold as?

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    They were all sold as R1 DVD's.

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bootlegs are easy to spot, they will have the dts band across the top ,and they will always have a silver dv9 superbit[load of ********] in the bottom corner

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Get a refund if you're not happy with 'em. Is it a genuine dts 5.1 soundtrack though?

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks guys.
    I've requested a refund from the relevent Ebay seller.
    Hopefully he'll do the right thing seing as I pointed out that the selling of bootleg dvd's is an infringement of Ebay rules, and this guy seems to be selling loads of them.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,547
    have you a link to one?

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    This is the Link to the Blue Crush dvd I purchased, but the seller has now given me a refund.

10. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes ,they are all copies:eek:
    The seller has Confessions of a dangerous mind included in his list:confused:
    it is not even out:nono:

If this is your thing ,you will get these cheaper at most sunday markets:devil:

11. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember last year when I bought Once Upon a Time In America from ebay (before it's official US/UK release), thinking it was the rare Brazilian released version. But when it came it was a copy with a bad cover. When I demanded a refund, the seller emailed me back saying it was an distressed colour affect due to the age of the movie - HA!

£12 for a bootleg Blue Crush? I cant get over the stupidity of some buyers on ebay. Looking at the feedback on some of these seller id's - its like 9 out of 10 buyers are happy with their fake dvds! These discs are easy to spot! - if not on the auction page itself then definitely when received. Not to mention give-aways like the DTS band and DVD 9 logos on the front cover, but more obvious signs like poor print quality artwork. Nearly all of them are R0 NTSC but loads come with artwork saying R1, so my advice would be if you're using it on a R1 machine or multi region machine and are still not sure then bung it in playstation and if it plays its a R0.

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hey, I was one of those stupid buyers!
    I had a bad feeling about these particular dvd's and got rid of the two I previously owned even before raising my concerns here.
    Blue Crush I bought with about 40 secs to go and did'nt actually realise the error of my purchase until afterwards.
    A lesson learned for me there.

The funny thing is that the seller mailed me saying "How do you know that the dvd's are bootlegs before you even receive it?"

It's already been noted here that this guy is selling titles not even released yet, so either he's obliviously thick himself or trying to pull the wool over unsuspecting buyers eyes.:mad:

I'm a lot more switched on this subject now, and hopefully won't be making the same mistake again.:nono:

13. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong I wasn't calling you stupid, was talking about the hundreds of ebay buyers who recieve their bootlegs and think they're so good that they leave comments like " superb quality - seller highly recommended" on the sellers feedback.

14. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Stellavision - I buy (and sell) loads of dvds from individuals using the trading forums here and on thedvdforums. In all that time I've never had a fake one - sitck with the good guys and avoid ebay :)

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks Wilber.
    I do think that you can still get good buys on Ebay, provided you're vigilant. I have had quite a lot of R1 original's with some still sealed at very good prices. I have however, had problems with my wife buying who has'nt been quite so vigilant. She's actually gone Ebay crazy at the minute, but I've given her what I hope are top tips to make sure she does'nt come a cropper to any dodgy dealers again.

16. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've never used ebay for purchasing dvd's and never will imo. You can pick up the genuine article for bargain prices from reputable dealers these days if you shop around. No russian roulette on quality of sound and vision even if you do have to wait a bit longer for the title to be available.