1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD component out and TV SCART in

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by virenlall, Apr 13, 2004.

1. virenlall

virenlall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a pioneer DVD player with component and S-Video outs and an older Sony TV with SCART and S-video inputs. i am currently using the lowest common denomnior i.e. S-video connections between the 2.

Is there anyway I can take advantage of DVD player's superior component out put and play it through on my TV through the SCART plug?

Thanks

viren

2. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the best you can get is RGB through the scart cable.

Unless your TV has component inputs you cannot use this signal.

RGB is very good as it's derived from component, your TV also displays in RGB anyway so it's native to the technology.

3. virenlall

virenlall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul,

2 questions as I cannot RGB from the DVD:
    1. There are some cables that take component video in with SCART output without signal conversion. e.g. SCART TO 3 PHONO RGsB OR COMPONENT (2.0M) KLD160 from http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm. I suspect this may not work?

2. I am alos getting an AV amp/receiver Yamaha RXV640RDS for surround. Can this be used as an inermdeiary fo conversion?

Thanks

Viren

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A cable alone won't help, as you suspected. There are however two YPbPr > RGBS converters available from Keene, one being of their own make. I can't comment on how well these perform however, and they're expensive - Keene's own (C2RGB) costs £90 and one made by Kramer (FC-12E) costs £240.

I'm almost completely sure the Yamaha cannot do anything either, although it may well have a pair of YPbPr component inputs allowing you to route the DVD player and other possible YPbPr outputting devices to it, if you later plan to buy a display with YPbPr component inputs.

RGBS is probably not supported by the amplifier at all, even for plain throughput. The Yamaha flagship amps are getting the ability to decode and upscale composite or S-video to YPbPr component, but I don't think that even in that price range they support RGBS.

5. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be cheaper to sell your DVD player and buy one that has RGB output.