DVD Collection, abandon?

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hiya guys..need some advice lol, I own around 1200 DVD's..

I have a whole bunch of Blu Rays which as everyone knows, are tons better. Recently, I sat down to watch The Crow, on DVD, and noticed it had huge black bars either side, after some research into aspect ratio's, I learned it was a 4:3 transfer, I cannot watch the movie like this, so I sold it, and bought the Blu Ray, perfect......well kinda...my brain started wandering...what other movies in my collection are 4:3, so I sat down over the past 3 days, and marked all the ratios down from the back cases. My friend told me 16x9 and Anamorphic are best for full screen image on a WS TV. Luckily about 80% of my collection are Anamorphic, while some are other ratios but still display full screen, yay, some with black bars may have sneaked their way back in, but I've sold about 40 movies that had horrid black bars either side, or all around the image, and decided to replace them with BR's where possible. I would say my collection is now black bar friendly, for the most part anyways.

Now, my dilemma, my OCD has been in overdrive, and on this little journey I thought for a second, why not sell all these and start over on Blu Rays...with the DVD sale, I wouldnt be able to afford to replace everything...nowhere near, but it would sure as hell start me off well, plus I own a fair few already. As times passed on this is niggling me more, is it worth selling up a 1200 strong DVD collection to start again on Blu Ray? opinions?

My main question is this, where would one sell a 1200 collection for a good price, where do I begin putting a price on it? Retail my collection is worth thousands, but pre owned, nothing close, how do you calculate the worth to sell on (eBay, Gumtree etc)? Whats a fair price? Split into categories? All 1200 in one sale? Helpppp

Hello. ..as a starting point you could use musicmagpie or cex to get a backstop price /value on your collection. They are online so you can just scan in the bar code. You might also be better sorting them into genres so people can be more selective in what they buy. There can't be many looking to buy a job lot of 1200. Good luck with your sale

I sell mine on music magpie as I upgrade - I wait until I have about 70-80 or so, throw in a few xbox games and possibly a few double dip blu rays (they don't accept my hd-DVDs though - boo!) as well and get about £100 or so back each time. They collect for free so it's a doddle to actually transport them too.

Most regular DVDs will only get you 30p or so but there's always a few that will surprise you (you'd be surprised at how many will actually be £3-4 or so). They also take my region 1 disks too which is a bonus. Word of warning - they only use barcodes to scan in on the website. They won't accept anything without that barcode number so steel books, special boxsets, etc you may struggle with with them without j-cards or other barcode friendly original packaging.

I've done this 4 times so far and never had a problem - money paid promptly straight into my bank and not a single problem with what I've sent in. I'm sure I could get a bit more money for them elsewhere but convenience is great here so I'm more than happy to sacrifice a few quid for ease sake. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would be careful before you dispose a lot of stuff is not on blu -ray plus the DVD version may have extras not on the BD or contain different cuts of the film in question .

Go through your collection and work out what's surplus to requirements .

I sell mine on music magpie as I upgrade - I wait until I have about 70-80 or so, throw in a few xbox games and possibly a few double dip blu rays (they don't accept my hd-DVDs though - boo!) as well and get about £100 or so back each time. They collect for free so it's a doddle to actually transport them too.

Most regular DVDs will only get you 30p or so but there's always a few that will surprise you (you'd be surprised at how many will actually be £3-4 or so). They also take my region 1 disks too which is a bonus. Word of warning - they only use barcodes to scan in on the website. They won't accept anything without that barcode number so steel books, special boxsets, etc you may struggle with with them without j-cards or other barcode friendly original packaging.

I've done this 4 times so far and never had a problem - money paid promptly straight into my bank and not a single problem with what I've sent in. I'm sure I could get a bit more money for them elsewhere but convenience is great here so I'm more than happy to sacrifice a few quid for ease sake. Good luck.

Musicmagpie collect them? That could be a big help in selling I didn't know that.

I would be careful before you dispose a lot of stuff is not on blu -ray plus the DVD version may have extras not on the BD or contain different cuts of the film in question .

Go through your collection and work out what's surplus to requirements .

Yeah totally, I know some stuff I will need to keep a hold of, as there are no BR versions available, I'm not too concerned with extras I never watch them.

Musicmagpie collect them? That could be a big help in selling I didn't know that.

Yeah you can either arrange for a courier to collect them from you at a convenient time or I even think you can drop your boxes off at specific places if you can't get a courier to your gaff at an appropriate time. This really helps me (cuz I'm a lazy swine!!!) so am willing to loose a few quid to use this service.

There's a few guys on eBay selling their entire collections for about £799, wonder if this is a realistic price for 1000+ DVD's, these guys all have several watchers which is usually a good sign.

I'm in a similar boat - I have a collection of ~200 pretty main-stream DVDs which I will never look at again. Looking in the classifieds here and one some ebay purchases I pretty much concluded they were worthless - I will probably end up gifting whatever to family and friends and the rest most likely charity. Don't know much about music magpie so will take a look at that but I can't imagine many/any are worth more than 50p - having said that if they will deal with the postage and it's a job lot it might do. I saw someone on ebay sell a job-lot of several hundred for the grand final price of £30

Update: Just put about 50 dvd bar codes through Music Magpie - came back as £16. Most were in the 20-30p range. A few came back at 5p. Only two were above £1 - All the Presidents Men at £1.05 and Big Trouble in Little China was a whopping £1.66. So I think that was about 1/4 of the collection - might get £60 in all.

Things like a season of House or The Shield were coming back at 20p even.

List them in the classifieds - I happily pay about £1 for film dvds, and more for tv series I'm after. Usually I'm happy to be discs only to save postage too

Newer ones I'd obv pay more for btw, was just giving an example fot most titles more than a couple of years old.

Things like a season of House or The Shield were coming back at 20p even.

Wow that's shocking. I've got four large ottoman trunks full of DVDs and a dozen of those really useful boxes, so that must be a 1000+. Yesterday I just pulled out at random Zardoz with Sean Connery and The Invisible Man with Claude Rains. I'll be doing that from now on on a regular basis just to watch old favourites. Clearly resale values blow and it's not worth the effort of reselling.

I've posted offered mine up to the rellies - whatever is left will either go on here, music magpie or charidy

Yesterday I just pulled out at random Zardoz with Sean Connery and The Invisible Man with Claude Rains. I'll be doing that from now on on a regular basis just to watch old favourites.

I did wonder about this but then thought I wouldn't want to watch them anyway - as a lovefilm unlimited renter I would rather stick the blu on my queue and watch it in hd a few days layer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom