• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD/CD Drive not working - Help?

weyland-yutani

Established Member
my dell pc generic dvd/cd drive has stopped reading dvds, audio cds and data discs. the only thing it will play is cd-roms. i have reinstalled the powerdvd disc that came with the pc and the device driver says the device is working properly(it's not, so it can f-off for start.) any ideas on what the problem is?

thanks.:)

maf1970

Prominent Member
Given that a standard DVD writer can be got for £20 its hardly worth bothering about,easier to just replace it.
If you have Blu-Rays it may be time to move up to a combo drive(DVD writer/Blu-Ray reader)

weyland-yutani

Established Member
and what if the dvd/cd drive is fine and the problem lies elsewhere? it's rather presumptuous to just ditch it and buy a new one.

maf1970

Prominent Member
No it is not. Given the cost of a replacement it is a trait of the throw away culture of today. It just isn't viable to spend the time trying to determine what exactly is wrong.

As a point - I'll bet the disks that don't work spin up when you put them in but nothing happens. When before they would autoboot or open a window with a list of choices. Do you get any error messages ?

weyland-yutani

Established Member
no error messages. and yes, they no longer spin up. so, it's unlikely to be any problem with the pc, just the drive?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom