DVD/CD connection question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tee, Mar 27, 2002.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've decided to use my 717 as my DVD and CD player for the time being as was wondering about connecting it to my 3802. I have the player connected as the DVD player via coax, but can I connect it separatly as a CD player using an optical lead? Basically the player will be connected in 2 different ways - will the reciever differenciate between the 2 when I select DVD or CD?

Does that make sense :confused:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can, if you use two different inputs, e.g. DVD for coax and CD for optical. If the inputs can be freely assigned do so, i.e. one e.g. DVD and one CD.

Connecting to the same input isn't possible as the amp would not know if the source is CD or DVD, at least I don't know any amp which can select based on PCM or bitstream - as well different connections on the same input are hirachial, i.e. coax might be of higher priority than optical, so the latter wouldn't be used unless you disconnect the cable.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Yes. It will. Just assign the digital inputs, Coaxial for DVD and Optical 1 for CD.

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thought so - cheers :)

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Sony, I have a Coax lead to the DVD input and have the DVD channel set to Auto Decode to get DD etc. I then connect the phono outs to the phono CD ins on the amp and have the CD channel set to Analogue Direct to bypass all the processing junk. I assume the same sort of thing can be done on the Denon if the CD channel has it's own optical in. Personally I prefer the sound through phono QED phono leads for CD's

S

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the coaxial for CDs as it makes more difference in the sound than for DVDs...

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You can connect your DVD to your amp in any of four ways as long as you have all the outputs, singularly or at the same time, going into different input sources.

I've asked DenonJeff to look into the possibility of being able to freely assign a digital input to any sources at the same time, i.e. DVD > COAX1 and CD > COAX1. On higher models this could be done with the RS232 but I don’t know about the 3802.

Mark