1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Cases

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveP, Nov 17, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had my copy of Personal Computer World delivered and the DVD has arrived in a very nice slimline case. This new case is about half the thickness of a "normal" (sorry don't know the technical name but not a snapper!) case. If only all new (single disk) films would come out in these it would help solve my storage problem!

I thought the original case was a step forward after the space needed by VHS tapes but now I've got nearly 350 DVD's finding space for more is going to be a problem!

Dave

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    May know the ones your talking about, as I think Columbia Tristar used to do them with earlier release (clear plastic case). I actually preferred them as the clear casing is kidna similar to CD cases, but the only problem is that they tend to crack sometimes.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last month the DVD was in a CD size case, but thinner. This new case is the same size as a DVD case, only thinner!

Dave

4. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you mean the shiny all clear plastic cases that are exactly like cd cases only the same height as the standard dvd cases then these were used on alot of region 2 releases when dvd first came out but I believe were abandoned by many distributers as they tended to get broken even before the product got to the shop shelf! I do sometimes buy an old title off the internet and find it arrive in one of these cases. Its a pity the standard cd case could not be abandoned in favour of a smaller Amaray type case as the company do make them. Its funny how some things become a standard.:rolleyes:

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No, DaveP means a soft plastic case, like amaray but much thinner. The US family guy set comes in a bunch of these, and some AOL as well.

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know the ones you mean. AOL were doing their software in them in our local Big W, there were about 30 on the stand. It said "Take 1 They're Free" so me, my wife, my kids and my wife's nephew nabbed the lot between us :blush:

Now I can't even find the bloody things.:rotfl:

7. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On the subject of cases.
    What is a digipack? Play is selling the Sopranos Series 1-3 for £29.99 in digipack cases. The original boxset ones are like £49 or something.
    What's an amaray? Just the regular case?

8. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A digipack is a long piece of cardboard which is folded up and slid into a cardboard sleeve. It opens out flat when removed from the sleeve and has clear plastic disc holders glued on some of the inside faces to hold the discs as well as a wallet to hold a leaflet or track guide. The region 2 X-files series are supplied in these.

Amaray is a company that makes a high quality version of the snapper case. There are many other snappers on the market but most dvd collectors prefer the 'Amaray'.