DVD cases - Mensa Applications welcome.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by General Skanky, Aug 24, 2000.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are these DVD companies in need of some consumer research or what? Every time I get a disc plonk on my doormat, my first thought is, 'How do I get it out of it's double hard clamp?'
    I mean come on, I try not to get too crazy at the moment it bends to the point of where I think 'will it explode in my face?' just as I prise it that little bit further. It really is a test of nerves vrs. disc 'bendability'. If I was watching someone else it would be funny, but it's my money bending at the seams!
    And what the hell are those ones where you have to push down two little edges in the middle, whilst lifting at the side whilst muttering a Hail Mary at great speed?
    The more hands the better.
    Here's to the good old British nerve in a tricky moment. [​IMG]

------------------

Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh!

Well to combat this irritating problem I bought 200 (real) Amaray boxes from www.transco.co.uk They work out very cheap at that quantity.

I now just tranfer all the annoying cases over to the Amarays (which have those easy push button type release thingies). I then melt the other DVD cases to make...well okay I don't melt them. I've not decided what to do with them yet. (50+ DVD cases FS?)
    www.amaray.com

------------------
    Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

3. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice link to Transco, Gary - cheers. It's especially good if you work five minutes down the road from their store! Their video and minidisc prices aren't bad either.

A quick question - do you ditch jewel cases as well (Elizabeth, Trainspotting etc) and if so, how do you make the cover inserts fit into the amaray case - they're a completely different shape, aren't they?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James asked: "do you ditch jewel cases as well (Elizabeth, Trainspotting etc) and if so, how do you make the cover inserts fit into the amaray case..."

Hi James,

Those super jewel cases are just awful.

All I've done with them (it butchery!) is to do what I do with the Warner-type snap cases and that's trim them to fit my Amaray case. The SJ spines are far too wee so I just scan them and enlarge them then print them out. It's all a bit Blue Peter, I know, but its gotstabe better than not doing this.

------------------
    Gary

My DVDs

5. hank hill

hank hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do not disrespect the jewel cases!

at least they made an effort and are nice and heavy.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    At the risk of invoking the wrath of the DVD case enthusiasts' club I honestly wish that DVDs came packaged like CDs as they do in Japan. My 150-disc collection is taking up far too much room, most of which is occupied by air! Oh, and double disc sets - why do they have to be boxed in 1.5x thickness cases, when 2 discs will easily fit into the space of one.

My wife is getting distressed by the increasing amount of room my library occupies. Maybe I'll have to scan my covers and re-print them CD Jewel-case sized.....

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh heh Nigel!

No worries mate. I'd agree with you 100%

I actually started doing exactly what you said (DVD to CD case), but I lost interest on the 15th disc. It's too much bother!

Give it a go though (and email me all your scans [​IMG])

------------------
    Gary

My DVDs