1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD cases and disc hubs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Killahertz, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been raised before, but I feel the need to vent a little on the above topic.

I am continually amazed at the variety and complexity of cases and the hubs used therein, to protect our discs. However, it is becoming increasingly evident that such protection is taken so far that it barley allows us access to our discs, or on the flip side, actually puts them at risk of damage.

Having just started to collect R1 discs, I have just become accustomed to the security tape at the edges of the case. It's fiddly, and occasionaly rips, leaving little bits in place that stop you opening the case. I thought this happened the other day while I was opening 'Sneakers', but not so. The case having two (pretty well concealed) additional clip hinges to keep it closed. Open these and the case snaps open and closed in the normal way, so why the extras?.

Of course, once inside - should you manage it - you are faced by feats of engineering that wouldn't be out of place on the Krypton Factor. You know, come on, some of the hub clips are demonic little creations. Either so loose that the disc drops to the floor as soon as you open the case, or so tight that you have to near bend the poor disc in half to free it. The latter being especially true of that nasty little solid lump of a hub with a thin sliver of plastic that you are meant to press to release the disc. A feat that is only managed by those with nails and/or diminutive digits, and after bending the disc through 90 degrees. Also, not forgetting those amusing cases where the disc is recessed, such that there is no room to lift the disc, and the hub is a circle of solid plastic surrounded by 8 or 10 prongs. The only option with this nasty little creation is to bend the case, to get you fingers under the disc, which will afford leverage to pry the disc from the hub.

All I can say is thank god for the simplicity of the two sprung semi-circle design (Amaray?) that is a dream to use. Secure when needed, and with a press, lifts the disc for simple extraction. That and the hub that looks like a letter 'M', collapes in the middle when pressed, and also lifts the disc. A little fiddly as the 'press area' is small, but is nicely engineered, and does work.

OK, thank you for listening, i'm off to buy some spare Amaray's :hiya:

2. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    The other day I took home a DVD where the staff forgot to remove the security lock. This is a little red plastic cap that slots in at the point where you open the case. This renders it impossible to open the case. I didn't know this and spent a whole evening with screwdrivers etc. breaking my DVD box open :mad: .

The kind guy at HMV apoligised the next day and swapped the case for another one.

3. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    They are by far the worst design. I've got stubby fingers and find all DVD boxes difficult, so I now put the discs in a metal dj case and sling the boxes.

The only DVD's I don't do that with are the box sets, and guess what, they are all of the above type.

4. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read the thread on sleeves and binders, that's an option that is seriously crossing my mind. No least that is rids me of the barely-openable boxes, but also the space they take up. I do like to see my (modest) collection, but it's growing rapidly, and i'll pretty much run out of space soon, so the sleeve and binder idea seems a good option.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i do think the case manufacturers have too much time on their hands, that's for sure, there are just so many different types, and these are the ones that i like and dislike the most

you've got your normal amaray spring clip which is one of the best, but does sometimes break off leaving the case with no way of holding the disc

you've got the m-lock, which is great, but unfortunately m-lock boxsets only use that clip on the 1st and 6th discs. the other 4 use a horrible clip that when you push down on it to release the disc, the disc on the opposite side of that particular panel falls out instead!

you've got the horrible snapper case clips which break about 50% of the time leaving little bits of plastic rattling around inside the case. i've actually taken to putting bubble wrap on top of the dvd in these cases to stop anything from having the opportunity to break or move.

you've got the transparent digipak clip which doesnt hold the disc well at all, or holds the disc so tightly you feel like you're going to break the inner circle on the disc, and they also make that annoying nails on a blackboard type squeak when you place and remove discs

you've got the cardboard sleeves in boxsets like buffy, angel and pearl harbour vista, which are fiddly and anyone who's seen a disc after it's been bought from woolworths will know it can scratch the disc up

you've got the cheapo amaray with the solid centre holder which as mentioned has no give whatsoever and holds the disc tighter than a mother holds a new born baby

you've then got the even worse cheapo amaray which has a hollow ring centre holder which holds the disc even tighter than the previous one and is nigh on impossible to remove the disc from without getting the bottom covered in fingerprints.

of course you've got the "child-lock" on recent R1 dvd cases which seem absolutely pointless.. the case is not filled with prescription medicine or bleach so why make it so annoying to get into?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    ...when one of these appears out of the blue it's also an effective adult lock too!

:) ...PJ

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Killahertz you should run another thread asking if anyone has broken/cracked/snapped DVD's by removing them and if they complained did it get them anywhere.

I haven't yet cracked or snapped a DVD or CD but a few years ago I did crack a CD-ROM by about a quarter of an inch radiating out from it's center and it still worked

8. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard of a disc breaking, and to be honest i'd be suprised if one did. Some of the cases require a fair amount of pressure and leverage to free the disc, but you need a great deal of the same to actuall snap one - having done this on a couple of occassions to failed CDR burns. That said, if you could indicate that the case/hub was so tight that you damaged the disc, I believe most retailers/manufacturers would offer a replacement without too much hassle.

In general, though, I think it's a tribute to the media - and a definite part of the reason for it's longevity - that it is so robust. Given the microscopic encoding of the discs, you'd imagine they'd be far easier to damage.

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    breaking the disc in half is difficult, but cracking the inner ring is a lot easier, and while it doesn't affect playback, it's still rather annoying. Also if you bend a disc too much you can warp the layers which causes pauses or skipping. this is what happened to my shrek dvd after i loaned it to someone, which i deduced by the fact that if you bent the disc about a bit you could sometimes get it to play properly on the bit that skipped, but then a bit somewhere else would skip instead.

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My particular favourite, makes me not want to watch B5 for fear of killing one of the discs. :mad:

11. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not something i'd considered, but yes, is very valid. Especially given the density of data, and also the dual-substrate construction of the disc. Such tight tolerances mean that it is inevitable that even a tiny amount of warp is sufficient to cause oscillation in the rotating disc, and thus air the possibility that the tracking system, well, doesn't always track. Thus causing anything from a slight skip, to complete un-usability.

12. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

Whilst on this topic, I'm wondering what other people's experience is with receiving damaged disc cases from new.

Of the last 40 or so titles I've ordered mail order about 3 or 4 have arrived with damaged hubs, leaving the disc rattling round inside the case. Some of them the damage is just one prong and the disc just about holds ok unless the case is shaken so I've ignored it but on others the hub has been almost totally destroyed with severe scratching to the disc and I've sought replacements.

Am I just unlucky or is this rate of damage normal ?

Cheers,

John

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've only had 1 damaged hub in transit but CD-Wow actually have a dedicated section of their website for this so it must be fairly common. They sent out another case immediately at no extra charge. :clap:

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Same as eviljohn2

CDwow excellent new case each time and as ej2 said a dedicated section

Play.com used to be good but now seem to say you have to send the whole lot back for replacement

101cd used to kncok 50p off but have now stopped that.

Over the past couple of years I've ordered somewhere between 2-3 hundred CD's and thanks to the PO/crap packaging, abouit 20% are damaged, that's why I just got fed up with busted boxes and started using the metal dj cases for CD's and DVD's. But I have never had a broken DVD box, I just had difficulty getting them out!

It must be a conspiracy, easily damaged CD boxes and stupid DVD box hubs, someone must be making a fortune out of replacing them.

Of course I could just be very unlucky.