1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd capture....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, May 15, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know that the supposed best performance is sdi modded dvd player......but what would the comparison be of an s-vid captured dvd player into a good capture card like the falcon?

Ad

2. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the SDI modded quality but I have captured and then mastered to DVD a few laserdiscs (Star Wars trilogy, BTTF trilogy and Criterion Robin Hood) recently using a Falcon s-video input fed by a Pioneer 925 LD and the results are indistinquishable from the laser. I used Minnetonka's DTS encoder to change the audio from AC3 to DTS with great results.
    www.vcdhelp.com is an invaluable resource for information on encoders etc.
    My next plan is to process some in higher res/prog scan but I have too much on at the moment.

Cam

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did reply to this already......but it doesnt seem to have been accepted!

I was meaning how would a captured signal from an external dvd player compare with a software dvd player?

My pc is really starting to mount......I'm looking at about £1000 and I still need a capture card on top of that.......so was thinking i could save myself some by only using an external dvd player.

On that note......perhaps better suited to a new thread......given my mounting cost......is hcpc still the way? For the total cost I will be very close to the cost of a nice new scaler.

Ad