1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gkc, Nov 1, 2002.

1. gkc

gkc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need some advice. I'm a beginner making a decision what camcorder I should buy. What about the dvd cams are they OK or not?

Thanks for your help!

gkc

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    You're getting 'DVD' confused with 'DV'.

You want a 'DV' (Digital Video) camcorder, yes everyone will recommend them, they have been around for years ....

'DV' encompasses many different formats though, including Digital VHS, Digital Hi8, MiniDV, DVCam, DVCPro, as well as a dozen or so Pro Formats.

The favourite among most people is MiniDV.

Any more questions?

3. gkc

gkc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link,

Sorry for the previous post if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but you did say you were a beginner and I assumed that you were a confused consumer.

As the link suggests the cameras are very expensive, lack features and the discs are pricey, so I doubt they have many benefits really.

DVD is a heavily compressed system meaning the quality is crap, the only reason why commercial DVDs look good is because they are encoded a slow speeds, or using really expensive realtime MPEG hardware.

Most people would recommend DV camcorders, because of price and functionality.
    Not forgetting the Firewire connections.

5. gkc

gkc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a beginner, just read some stuff on the internet but never had a camcorder before in my life. Thanks for yr reply. What is in your opinion, the best mini-dv camcorder? Or is micro-dv? I do have a fire wire card in my pc but didn't used it yet :)

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your pc has a firewire connector, you're halfway there :) Personally I'd say standard DV is the best bet at the moment. There's plenty of cameras and software available, and the quality is very good, the picture is more than 3x less compressed than DVDs. "micro-dv" is more of a niche product, with less software flexibility and lower pic quality, for more money. The major advantage is that the camera could almost fit in a shirt pocket.....

7. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember that the DVD cameras suffered from a blurred image when the camera was moved during filming as the discs were not as well controlled as they might have been.
    Mind you , that was about three years ago and thing will no doubt have improved since then.

I have a Sony MiniDV cam and it is sensational.
    Richard.

8. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Backing up what Xeonic has said.

I've only ever bought one camcorder - Sony VX2000.

It really depend what features you are looking for, and whether you have a favourite brand, as well as your budget.

Although I'm not a Sony fan, the VX1000 was so well built that when the 2000 came out I knew if would be very good.