dvd calibration disc.

talkinloud

Established Member
Reaction score
just ordered one of these from video essentials, are they simple enough to use and are the benefits justifiable, cheers.

Simple enough after youve sat through it once :), the first time i played it i just listened to what they had to say and had a play with the navigation menu then played it again before i changed an of my settings.
I found it quite interesting and good for setting up colour on my Pioneer 436xde but i ended up using a THX optimiser disk to set up contrast, maybe i need to look at the disk again but it talks about setting the contrast on a CRT and says some thing about looking at other screens later but i cant ever remember it then saying anything about the other screens.

Andy

i remember reading something on the forum where after tweaking the pq settings, the true picture appeared to be a lot darker, the point being that the settings generally tend to be too bright, it'll be interesting to see a comparison.

If you've got the time and patience try watching it through completely first time around, it can be quite informative. After this simply use the main menu to select the various setup screens and test cards.

There's a good calibration sticky over on the Projectors forum that'll help.

Attu said:
Simple enough after youve sat through it once :), the first time i played it i just listened to what they had to say and had a play with the navigation menu then played it again before i changed an of my settings.
I found it quite interesting and good for setting up colour on my Pioneer 436xde but i ended up using a THX optimiser disk to set up contrast, maybe i need to look at the disk again but it talks about setting the contrast on a CRT and says some thing about looking at other screens later but i cant ever remember it then saying anything about the other screens.

Andy

The latest 2003 DVE disk supports LCD and Plasma configuration

I found the dve gave you all the test patterns but didn't tell you what to look for on the test patterns, quite frustraiting actually.

AVIA is also a great disc to lean your stuff from. i use this with DVE to get things just right. Avia has a great test patteren for setting up digital displays contrast setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom