1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by celticprince, Jan 2, 2003.

1. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All. Just broken into the world of DVD after 'lurking' for some time. I am aware, as with CD that quality differences vary greatly, and I would like some advice. What is the best way of getting accurate comparisons of DVD's from differing regions, and also SE features. I have been to a couple of comparison sites through dvdpricecheck.co.uk, but they appear to compare extra features, sound format and censorship. They rate a lot of titles as 'equal' without mention of picture quality.While being important, I would be as interested in picture/transfer quality. Is there still reason to buy R1 & R4 discs purely on picture quality grounds, does it differ greatly? I am not that interested in getting them purely for pre-UK release reasons. Thanks in advance, Chris.

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you're already here! most of the compare sites like Rewind, concentrate on features, aspect ratios and soundtracks and fail to mention picture/sound quality presumably because it would take a hell of a lot more time to do so.

On these forums you'll find tons of quality reports and region comparisons from members, just search for the film title in DVD Talk. Weird that cos I've just done exactly the same thing for The Abyss.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you want DVD region comparisons with full reviews, try

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

They don't have many side by side titles there but the list is growing

5. sgb

sgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies. Both dvdcompare sites you mention were the ones I was talking about originally. They do not seem to compare picture quality, or am I mistaken? I will try the other site you mentioned Alsproject, thanks. How do you guys choose your regions if there are no picture quality comparative sites? Do you go by extras, early release and lack of censorship, word of mouth, or what? I know this forum is a wealth of knowledge, but a lot of the DVD's I have searched for are not covered with regard to picture quality, and it would be so useful to find a dedicated comparison site. Or, is life too short for this much scrutiny? Cheers, Chris.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great!!!! Thanks!!!! :)
    Basically, yes. If a transfer is particularly bad, then it is usually mentioned at www.dvdcompare.org.uk so you usually know to avoid it (for example, it mentions the muted colours on the R2 of Boogie Nights).

www.michaeldvd.com.au is excellent for R4s though and the reviews often apply to R2s as well because of using the same PAL master. You can give that a go.

8. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A pretty good site that I've used in the past is

www.bytesandbobs.com

On some of the titles at least, their recommendations seem to take into consideration quality of transfer/sound.

Mr Cheese

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's just me, but reading their comparisons, I've always gotten the feeling that Bytes and Bobs just copy them from DVDCompare.... Don't seem as reliable with the comparisons either.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like SG says all the very best and worst transfers will have been mentioned on here at some point, if not why don't you post any enquiries you have here.