1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timse1981, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You might want to consider one of these - LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer R/RW/RAM Internal IDE - it does a lot more formats (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL) and dual-layer too. Note that this is an "OEM" product which comes in a plastic bag with no additional software, etc. Just an instruction manual. Good price, though, at £35.54 inc. VAT :smashin:

3. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Thanks. What software do you suggest I get to go with my DVD burner and how much does it cost.

Tim

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Unfortunately the software can cost as much as the burner ! If you're using Windows XP, there is some CD/DVD writing support built in. I'm a great fan of Nero myself. Ebuyer do the OEM version of Nero Express for only £1.52, which does the basic stuff, but you can go right up to Nero V6 Reloaded for about £36 (which unfortunately Ebuyer are currently out of stock on). You could try the Express version first, then upgrade to Reloaded if you like it. I think you can download a free trial of Nero too, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

P.S. Just checked - 14 day free trial at http://www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.php

5. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Ive got a trial version of Ulead DVD Movie Factory with Digital Video. I was wondering if I got that film editing package or another package would that have DVD burning software?

Thanks

Tim

6. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Try these people...

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/pccomp.html

There you will find a list of very reasonbly priced recorders. I tend to favour the Pioneer ones myself. I have a Pioneer 106 and it has been very good for the past 18 months I Have had it. Also on that page you can add in a copy of Nero burning software for a few extra quid.

I use these people for all my media as well, usually buying DVD-R Ritek dye discs.

Hope this helps.
    Keith Hurst

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    ULead DVD Movie Factory does have DVD/CD burning facilities built in. You have to decide what you want to do with the DVD burner, and get the appropriate software. You can get a free trial of Ulead® DVD MovieFactory 4 here

One thing you need to avoid is having too many different CD/DVD burning programs on your PC, because you can get driver conflicts. I discovered this very early on in the days of PC burners, when I had copies of both Nero and Roxio on my PC at the same time, and neither worked properly due to driver conflicts.

8. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith,

Does your DVD burner copy DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs, etc?

Thanks

Nick,

I only want my DVD burner to copy movies Ive created of my video footage and possibly audio CDs.

Thanks

Tim

9. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sound advice indeed. Fortunately DVDMF and Nero seem to co-exist quite happily.

However, once you have imported your video to PC, it may be advisable to edit your movie footage in a different application to the one that you eventually author DVDs in. The 'All-in-one' approach of even DVDMF4 still carries compromises, particularly when it tries to re-encode your footage with even the slightest change. For just the editing stage, you could try Womble MPEG Video Wizard: although a bit on the expensive side it has many advantages such as better transitions between scenes and only re-encodes when absolutely necessary (month's free trial here). The edited MPEG2 video is saved and can then be imported into DVDMF for authoring.

Re the choice of burner... it may be of advantage to buy one that supports bitsetting to DVD-ROM for +R or +R DL. This may bring compatibility improvements and you may not know what particular DVD players will be used for the distributed copies.

10. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

The spec for the NEC ND 3520A DVD writer says that it writes to DVD-ROM, but not DVD+ROM. Heres the full list of supported media:

Media Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R9, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-ROM, CD-R AND CD-RW WITH 80mm AND 120mm diameter.

With regards to the software, is there a DVD burning software from Nero.

Ive not got Nero CD rewriting, software but my brother has on his, and he says it is so much easier to use than what Ive got.

Thanks for the help.

Tim :thumbsup: :smashin: :clap:

11. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Tim,

I have used DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and of course standard CD-R. All have worked flawlessly as long as you buy good media.

Re Nero, the standard edition now includes DVD burning and is as about as simple as it gets really.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There's no <plus> or <minus> format for DVD-ROM. The 'dash' does not symbolise anything other than a separator in the name. AFAIK only <plus> format discs (+R, +RW, and +R DL) can be bitset to DVD-ROM at the moment. It's really just a method of fooling an otherwise fussy DVD player into thinking you've just inserted a commercial manufactured DVD.
    Yes - NeroVision Express.

13. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KeithHurst amd Musukebba.

14. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying the NEC DVD burner with Nero Suite 3 which includes Nero 6. All for £50 including cables, software and DVD burner. :smashin: :hiya:

15. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep, NEC are good and you can bitset easily. SVP are excellent retailers and like Keith Hurst I would advise you to get discs from them. Have a look here first for disc quality pointers (the media code) which SVP display on their website.

16. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks musukebba.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Worth noting that the current batch of NEC drives will not read DVD-RAM. Not a big issue for most PC users but, if in the future, you get a set-top DVD recorder then this may become a problem. Some of the best set-top DVD recorders are all DVD-RAM based models at present (Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Samsung, Hitachi) and thus you would then need to upgrade your burner or buy a new DVD-ROM drive. Not a big issue but something worth considering now rather than later. It's not as if you have to pay anymore for a RAM compatible drive. Infact the LG drives tend to be cheaper...

Pioneer, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba and many Samsung models are all DVD-RAM compatible. Personally I have used LG drives for four generations now and have found them flawless performers.

18. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just ordered the NEC3520A from SVP Communications.

19. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not that bothered as Ive got a seperate DVD drive.