DVD burner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mw3cdj, Sep 25, 2003.

1. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a dvd burner for my pc and some good software which will alow me to back up my dvd collection, but i'm not to sure on a few points. Will i be able to record an original dvd with 5.1 soundtrack, and how good will the copies be ?? Would also be greatfull if someone could suggest a good burner and some software.
    Thanks
    Daran.:smashin:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the DVD is a single layer, it'll be indentical- as single layers are the same capacity as DVD-R's. Just use DVD Decryptor (can I mention that s/w?) and backup the while disc to a directory, then burn off.

The problem arises when you want to backup a dual layer disc, as they are usually over 4.7GB- normally upto 9GB. So you'll either have to remove the audio languages and subtitles, trailers and docos... that might not be enough. So either split the disc over two DVD-R's (can't remember what prog does this) or re-mpeg it (but that'll loose picture quality)

I want to backup my dual lasers since getting a couple with disc rot. Sod's law that the dual layers are the hardest to backup (I want to keep all orignal picture quality & special features)

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD Shrink is what you want, excellent software.

First run the program in reauthor mode saving the files to hardrive. This will allow you to author out all the menus, unrequired soundtracks, subtitles & extras.

If the resulting file is too big run it through the program again this time re-encoding to a size that will make it fit your DVD-R.

I've managed to cut out the chaff & re-encode over two & half hours of movie with excellent results. (Very little drop in quality over original)

DVD Shrink is free but you will need burning software program to burn the resultant files to disc. I use RecordNow Max (formerly known as Prassi Primo).

** This is of course assuming you have the legal right to copy the material. **

4. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Nathan,
    Thanks for the reply . Now all i got to do, is to get a dvd burner, Can you suggest one ?? and are most discs single or dual layer.
    Thanks
    Daran

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Practically all commercial discs are dual layer (DVD-9) as opposed to single layer (DVD-5).

6. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    heard the plextor PX-504A dvd+r dvd+rw is worth a look if you are looking to spend £150-160