1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Box Office & HM C&E

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Confucius, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Just a quickie (hopefully).

DVD Box Office seem to have the best price for 'The Avengers '68 vols 1&2' (CAN$50.95 incl s&h); however, I've not purchased any £18+ items from US/CAN based internet retailers for a very long time. How are (bearing in mind a whole lot more stuff is getting checked these days:( ) they at avoiding any customs entanglements? Would the slightly pricier A&B Sound be better for this.

The problem is that Movietyme are normally the cheapest for box sets (X-Files season 4 for £59.99!), but on the run up to Christmas appear to be dealing more with blockbuster-money-earners (and who can blame 'em) than the sort of stuff I tend to have been buying of late (television shows).

TIA

[​IMG]

2. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered Akira from DVD Boxoffice back in August, which was £25 and the DVD came through no problem. I am not to sure though if customs are checking more since September 11th.

My view on ordering DVD's from abroad that cost more on £18 is customs can not check every single parcel that comes into the country so if it does not look expensive then they will probably not check it. Unforunately a box set will come in a nice big parcel and will probably attract the unwanted attention from customs.

Anyway for what it is worth that is my view on it.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered X-files 3 boxset from play (in Jersey) and still got stiffed by C+E. I refused the package and it went back.

I reordered and it came thorugh with no problem.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graeme,

There's a little known fact that Play already pay the excess duty on items over 18 quid. So if you get a boxset and are charged duty you only have to claim it back from Play and they will refund the Duty. I believe you only have to sent them the original Duty invoice.

Now I've not had to do this myself, but I've seen numerous threads over at DVDforums discussing this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I got stung for VAT & Duty when the Superman box set (R1) arrived from Play. I just e-mailed a scan of the box showing the charges and got a full refund less than an hour later. I think Play got stung quite badly: the price of that item went up £5 shortly afterwards.

Thanx Ian for the info

:)

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangley when I reordered the X-files set it was £10 cheaper according to the invoice inside the box.

I emailed them and they refunded it! Nice.

I'll be getting x-files 4 from movietyme though £75.99 compared to £59.99 (even DV-depot comes out at £66)

7. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I've just had 4 DVD's come in the post (arrived the same day) from DVD-Boxoffice.

They were all sent individually and were all stamped as 'un cadeau' (gift).

Am I right in thinking that Gifts are exempt from C+E?

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I got Stargate box set from them and same gift stamp, nice workaround.:p

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The limit goes to £36.

I never did check to see what was on the package, but the Avengers set did eventually arrive with no vat or duty to pay.

10. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used DVD Boxoffice on numerous occasions and have never had a customs charge.
    I have just checked and they do seem to like stamping their packages as 'gifts'.

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They are gifts...

From me to me....

Just the way I like it.

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you charged duty on deliveries from Jersey?
    I am a bit confused about the status of Jersey ... is it outside the EU?

Were you charged Duty or VAT or Duty plus VAT?

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jersey is not an EU member, so anything over £18 can be taxed.

Jersey doesn't have VAT (thats how Play and Under18 can sell at just over the UK wholesale price).

Play send R2 discs from Jersey, if they get taxed play will refund the charges (you just have to phone or email them)

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Boxoffice reship from within the EU (normally France) so you don't have to pay customs charges.

They ship in bulk to France, they cover any charges, then ship the individual packages to the UK, as the package is then coming from an EU member country UK customs are not allowed to tax or apply import duty to it.

15. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the useful information provided.

Actually I am based in Ireland which may explain my confusion regarding Jersey ... I actually was under the impression that it was part of the UK. Anyway, I have imported large numbers of CDs and DVDs from under18.org without any problem. I should also add that I purchase from EzyDVD (Australia) on a regular basis and have not had any problems with Customs.

DVD Boxoffice ... I placed an order with this organisation on Friday but ran into a technical problem. For some reason I did not receive an order number when I placed my order (or I should say that I expected to receive confirmation by e-mail but did not) and when I received a request to submit a copy of my VISA statement with my order reference written on it I could not do so. To date I have not received any response to my emails.