DVD blanks capacity

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Humph, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Humph

Humph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ideally one should restrict the playing time of material put onto a DVD blank to one hour. In that situation there's no deterioration in the copy.
    But if you put six hours onto a DVD the deterioration is palpable.
    There's a happy medium. What is it?
    Can you put four hours onto a disc without noticeable loss of quality? Or three?
    Additionally, I don't notice much variation between the quality of blanks (not referring here to their longevity).
    The man at the stall at the computer fair repeatedly tells me that Datawrite are no good. I've used yellow, Titanium and Classic Datawrite and never had any problems. Also used the Rydisk brands and not had any significant problems there.
    Are there significant differences between the main brands? I find that if I pay between eight and ten quid for 50 (at Digital Solutions, actually)I seem to be safe.
    I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Humph

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I used to use Verbatim 2x and 4x DVD-R but they do not seem to be obtainable now. Have changed to Datawrite Yellow 4x and 8x DVD-R and Ridisc 8x DVD-R inkjet printable. They all work fine on my Panasonic and JVC dvd recorders.

I used to record at 4 hours per disc (LP) which gives reasonable quality on the Panasonics but now mainly use
    the FR (flexible recording) mode to set for up to three hours for any films
    over two hours & 3 hour VHS tapes.

Some info on this website :

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=251884

3. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172