DVD Binders/Storage Solution

TonyA

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm starting to pull my hair out looking for a solution to house my bulging collection of DVD's which are outgrowing the shelving I put up for them some years ago.

I think the best way to conserve space is to ditch the standard DVD boxes, and place the covers/booklets/DVD's into some kind of binder system.

However, I'm not having much luck in finding something that houses, not only the DVD's and booklets, but also the DVD covers as well.

There are many different solutions out there, but the majority only cater for the "booklet" and not the "cover".

Although Arrowfile (http://www.arrowfile.com/category.asp?cat_id=DVDSPEC) state that their solution houses the cover, it doesn't (you would have to cut the cover to make it fit), and I've just sent my order back from them requesting a refund, and asking them to amend their website, as it is misleading!

An alternative appears to be "DiscSox" (http://www.discsox.eu/dvd-storage-sleeves.htm), but they currently don't have any stock in Europe, and I've got some reservations over the design.

Virgin used to sell something a few years ago from AM Denmark (http://www.am-denmark.com/sort/engelsk/storage/storage.html), but I've googled this and the only retailers I can find for those are in Denmark and Greece.

Does anyone know of any alternative products, or have any other suggestions?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Tony

I'm in a similar position. What I have done is kept the same shelving unit, but reduced the thickness of various cases.

This first things to go were things like TV series box sets - you know the type of thing.... 8 single discs in an outer with 8 full-width (14mm) cases......they are now contained in two standard width (14mm) quad cases (4 discs in each) and so on. That instantly makes room for 6 more titles regularly packaged. But wait.............make that 12 (see below).

And then there are the sequels. 2 x 2-disc sets will fit into one quad 14mm case.

As for single discs, twin sets (without a lot of paperwork) and 2 x 1-disc original and sequel pairs - these will go into 7mm cases. So you have room for twice as many of these.

All involves scanning and reworking the cover art to make it fit the different case. I haven't done them all; I'll do more as and when I need to realise more space. And, when I've filled my cabinet again and can't shrink any further............I think it will be time for a major throw-out!

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, and this is certainly something I have already looked into, but the thought of scanning, and re-printing all of the covers, would be prohibitive from the cost of the printing ink and paper alone, without the time that would be involved in the scanning, cropping, and re-printing itself, which would be a monumental task given the size of my collection.

I'm sure there has to be a binder-type solution out there, but I just don't seem to be able to find it!

Have a look at http://www.target-marketing.co.uk
I use the discgear "Literature Album" to store 100 dvd sleeves and a 120 disc case for the discs.
Works out about 1 album per case allowing for some double disc films. I currently have 12 of each :eek:

Saves a lot of space and keeps mrs. happy :D, they just don't understand the beauty of shelves and shelves of pretty dvd cases :rolleyes:
Don't forget if you're dumping your old cases most can go in the blue recycling bin.;)
Hope it was helpful :smashin:

I've seen these online: http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/Amps-DVD-Games-Case-48-Capacity-pr-19459.html

The item description is:

Unique design allows 48 DVD's to be stored safely along with the cover art from your DVD case. Each leaf can also hold the pocket book (manual ect) and memory cards. Hard wearing soft vinyl with ring binder construction inside.
= £2.98 inc VAT!!

OK, its only 48 disks, but at three quid a pop that's a bargain! I've ordered two of them to have a look. If they aint fit for purpose, they'll be sent back.

I've seen these online: http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/Amps-DVD-Games-Case-48-Capacity-pr-19459.html

The item description is:

Unique design allows 48 DVD's to be stored safely along with the cover art from your DVD case. Each leaf can also hold the pocket book (manual ect) and memory cards. Hard wearing soft vinyl with ring binder construction inside.
= £2.98 inc VAT!!

OK, its only 48 disks, but at three quid a pop that's a bargain! I've ordered two of them to have a look. If they aint fit for purpose, they'll be sent back.

Oh what a surprise! Just received this item, and yet again, the only way to get a cover in the sleeve is to either make some nasty folds, or to cut it down to size!

Needless to say, these are going back for a refund.

:thumbsdow

The search continues...

I have found this site that may be of interest:

http://www.slappa.com/

They do post worldwide but the charges may be high. There is an English distributer but they do not seem to do the DVD pages that store the cover as listed on the American site.

Hope this is of interest.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info...

Funny enough, at about 2am this morning, I discovered a UK retailer for the Slappa cases: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_CD_Wallets.html

I have emailed them to ask about the DVD cases, and the situation with the cover e.g. if it need to be modified, but still waiting for a response.

Yesterday I discovered that ALLSOP (the well known video cassette head-cleaner company), do cases. Their product holds the DVD and the booklet, but not the cover. Their recommended solution for the cover is to download it via several sites on the internet, and modify the size down to the booklet size, and then print it out!

Why not just make a :censored: product that allows the cover to be stored as well? The fact that they are providing details on how to re-create the covers to fit in their product, must give an indication that people want to store the covers with their DVD's!

I did email ALLSOP about that too, but they've not replied! :laugh:

Thanks again Mike.

I've just ordered the Slappa D2i DVD Sleeves from them.

Slappa also make boxes (rather than cases) that hold up to 140 of the sleeves.

I'll check the sleeves out and see what they're like, and if it does what it say on the tin, I'll order more and a few boxes to go with them!

:)

Hi Tony,

Let me know what they are like as I would be interested to convert my collection as well.

I have had the following reply to my email to Slappa Customer Services:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes you can fit the DVD sleeve notes in the case by just folding it in half down the spine. We have sold thousands of this product and this has never come up as an issue.

Thanks again."

This is looking hopeful then! I'll let you know how I get on.

I have had the following reply to my email to Slappa Customer Services:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes you can fit the DVD sleeve notes in the case by just folding it in half down the spine. We have sold thousands of this product and this has never come up as an issue.

Thanks again."

This is looking hopeful then! I'll let you know how I get on.

So you fold in between the folds on the spine outers creating a permanent mark on the artwork itself?

Not something I would go for, if you ever convert back to sell etc the spines will look awful.

Liam:)

So you fold in between the folds on the spine outers creating a permanent mark on the artwork itself?

Not something I would go for, if you ever convert back to sell etc the spines will look awful.

Liam:)
Not sure if this is the exact case, but I will soon find out when my sleeves arrive, and will report back.

To be honest, if it does mean folding along the centre of the spine, it's still a lot better than having to cut the cover down to fit, or download and re-print them, as the covers will still be completely intact and useable, albeit with a crease line in them.

The only sleeve I know of that takes the cover without any such modification is the DiscSox one's, but they have none available in Europe until sometime in June.

TonyA,

How did you get on with these? I'd love to get hold of the DiscSox items but as you say can't get them just now!

After reading the comments here on the SLAPPA DVD case I decided to buy a Slappa 600 hard body Pro CD Trolly case (Black) from these :censored: (you'll see why in a minute);

http://www.djbargains.co.uk/

Within a couple of hours I received an email saying my order had been dispatched - :thumbsup:. Three weeks later I still haven't got it. On their website they state they are changing phone numbers so you can't get through. I sent an email via their site - no reply. Sent another from my pc - no reply. Sent another from the web - no reply. Contacted my bank, they had withdrawn the money the day after I ordered and there was nothing they could do :mad:.

I found an alternative number on the internet and guess what - it didn't accept incoming calls :rolleyes:. In desperation to get my money back (£85) I emailed the SLAPPA manufacturer (yes I know) who very kindly offered me some help.

However, I am still out of pocket and really miffed at being ripped off. Thank you for listening.

How did you get on with these? I'd love to get hold of the DiscSox items but as you say can't get them just now!

Well I'm afraid that after waiting for 5 weeks with no sign of the SLAPPA sleeves, I've cancelled the order.

I ordered mine from "Hard To Find Records", and they have been nice as pie about it, but the problem appears to have come from SLAPPA themselves. Here's an extract of an email I received:

"Dear Customer,

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the delay you are experiencing
with your order.

I assure you that we are chasing this order up on a regular basis, and are
still without an accurate date as to when the MR251058 - SLAPPA D 2I DVD
SLEEVES - PACK OF 25 will actually reach us. I understand your frustration
with the service, however hope you can in turn understand ours with the
distributors of this unit.

We have not been informed of any manufacturing issue with this product, so are still expecting it to arrive. Our supplier simply has not been given a date
for delivery, meaning we are also left waiting. We would normally at this
stage suggest an alternative item, yet in this case we are without a suitable
option to offer."

So its back to waiting to see if the DiscSox ever come back into stock (they are still stating "mid-June" on the European website.

This is so damn frustrating.

is storing the booklets/covers critical?

I just store all mine in a zip up wallet which holds only the DVDs, then I have a separate folder with a printed report showing a small cover image, description of the movie and location (number of the wallet, and then number within the wallet). Each wallet holds about 216 discs.

My cases all go in big cardboard boxes in the loft

It appears that DiscSox are still not going to be available in Europe until August.

However, in this never ending quest, I have discovered the following: http://www.3kaze.com/index.html

They appear to be somewhat cheaper than DiscSox on a sleeve to sleeve price, and look better if you ask me.

I have made an order of these, to see what they are actually like.

Fingers crossed (yet again!).

It appears that DiscSox are still not going to be available in Europe until August.

However, in this never ending quest, I have discovered the following: http://www.3kaze.com/index.html

They appear to be somewhat cheaper than DiscSox on a sleeve to sleeve price, and look better if you ask me.

I have made an order of these, to see what they are actually like.

Fingers crossed (yet again!).

Thanks Tony,

Can you let us know what they are like when you get them.

Thanks

Hey Tony,

Yeah, I too was told that it's now August for the DiscSox items :(

The 3Kaze items look OK but again I think these are a fold down the middle of the spine job. Also see that it's a seperate sleeve for the DVD and a seperate one for the Artwork. Another North American trader so still have the high shipping costs too I presume.

Not really ideal compared to the DiscSox versions, like you, I find this so frustrating.

Steve.

Hi guys,

With postage it comes to about £33.40 - for 100 sleeves and 4 binders (each binder designed to holds 25 sleeves - although I reckon they will hold more with ease).

When they say "100 sleeves" that's 100 x "Cover Sleeves" and 100 x "Disc Sleeves" - they count them as a single item.

Bear in mind that the DiscSox are priced at around £16 for 25 sleeves ONLY, and that DOES NOT include Postage and VAT costs, so these are a major cost saving over DiscSox, even with the long distance postage.

And that's for the sets with binders - you can actually buy just the sleeves on their own, and for 100 sleeves it works out around £18! Plus the prices do go way down on bulk orders from them.

3kaze also accept PayPal, which is how they can process the orders so quickly, unlike the "fill in the form", "send it to DiscSox", "wait for a quotation which will include postage and VAT" etc... etc... rigmarole that you have to go through to get DiscSox!

These have actually come from Malaysia, and I got mine this morning, and I'm over the moon with them. :thumbsup: :clap:

They were delivered by UPS and we extremely well packed, and it only took FOUR DAYS from order to delivery!

The "cover sleeves" hold the covers and insert booklets with ease, and the covers fold along their natural spine line, so there's no unnecessary fold lines introduced to them.

Each of the "disc sleeves" are designed to hold two disks, which I think is really cool.

The disc sleeves are designed to either go in the folder, or you can pop them in the cover sleeve itself (which is what I'm going to do to keep them together).

The quality of the sleeves is pretty good, and the inner part of the disk sleeve, has a cloth insert so that the two discs are kept well protected.

I've taken some pics so that you can see what it looks like. I've used "Daredevil" as it was a 2 disc DVD and was close to hand! :)

Attachments

• DSCN0021.jpg
    DSCN0021.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3,530
  • DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0022.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 4,396
  • DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 3,199
Thanks for the info and the photos Tony.

I am guessing that a standard A4 binder would work to hold the folders.

Thanks again.

A little update to this....

You can get two "normal" (amaray type case) single disc DVD's in one sleeve by putting the covers in back to back, and inserting the discs in the disc sleeve, therefore saving even more money/space!

The only ones I've found a problem with so far is those old horrible Warner Bros. "clip cases" (the ones that were part plastic, part cardboard), due to the thickness of those cardboard covers, its a one cover per sleeve for those, and unfortunately, due to their size, you do have to fold those along the centre of the spine. To be honsest I'll live with that just to get rid of those dreadful cases anyway. You can't get 25 of those in a binder either, because they're just too thick.

Have also now tried the "Crystal" cases (the over-sized CD type cases) that Lock Stock and Trainspotting were originally released in. Dismantled the cases, pulled out the inserts, and popped them in the sleeves with no bother at all.

These things are a winner in my book! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the photos Tony.

I am guessing that a standard A4 binder would work to hold the folders.

Thanks again.

Hiya Mike... yes indeed, just tested that for you. Fits in an A4 binder no problem, but they do look a little lost in there, as A4 is a bit big, but certain an A5 binder would probably be better for the job.

'Spose one way to check is to take a sleeve into "Staples" or "WH Smith" and see what binders do the job.

I might have a wander down to Staples later and have a look! I'll let you know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom