1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backup question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by evolution400, Aug 24, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys I just got an NEC drive and for some reason when I do a copy of a DVDR it only burns at the speed that the DVDR was burned at etc
    I only have the NEC drive so I usually copy from NEC to HDD etc my old pioneer 108 used to burn fine at maximum speed.
    The only way I have found around this is to create image from DVD then burn the image then 16x is selectable on the burning app this goes for nero, alchohol.
    Would the best option be to buy a DVDROM drive and do on the fly copies ?
    Just in the past I hav had lot of coasters doing this and some times the DVDROM drive interpreted the size of the source disk wrong etc.
    Can anyone recomend a good DVDROM drive...oh and in silver as I have aluminium case.
    Cheers.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which NEC do you have? The 35xxx range are first class devices, I have 3, and many people happily use them. There can be no way for the burn process to 'know' the speed at which the original was burned, so I'm confused to some extent what you're describing here. What speed are the DVD-Rs you're writing to rated at?

That said, if you do a lot of copying then a second drive would clearly be a better option I think.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    3540a is the model.
    Right when I open nero and goto disk to disk copy with a DVDR in there what I mean is the dvdr is was copying from was 8x rated so it only lets me select 8x to record when I am trying to record to a verbatim 16x disk.
    If I creata and image from the DVDR on the hdd I can then slect create dvd from image and select 16x because my blank media is insterted and is 16x rated.
    I hope I have explained myself more clearly.
    Yes I am thinking second drive so any recomendations from anyone ?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, now I understand you're doing a single-drive disk-copy .. in your first post I took you be mean you copied DVD->HDD then HDD->DVD in two separate steps.

I still can't explain what you're seeing though, why Nero isn't letting you select 16x for output when copying since I don't see how Nero could know the burn speed of the source disk and even if it did it makes no sense for it to limit any subsequent copies to that speed.

And you say doing exactly the same thing with a 108 Nero let you select 16x on output even when the source was originally burned at 8x? I find this totally bizarre and beyond anything I've ever seen. :confused:

As for drives, I only buy NECs now I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else may have seen this sort of behaviour and have some ideas.

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think its f/w related my pioneer was unlocked with 16x for all firmare so I could select 16x on any media the NEC isn't so goes on the code on the DVDR for the speed rating it will be fine if all my source disk were 16x but they aren't so I guess its DVDROM on the fly for me if anyone knows of a decent silver DVDROM drive ?