1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Back-up with Decrypter

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mph8873, Dec 4, 2003.

1. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used DVD Decrypter and IFOEdit as recomended in this forum (thanks for that! :D ), I have a few questions may be you can help with:

First of all, when you see all the file structures of VOB files, chapters etc. within Decrypter is there any way of easily identifying what each file / chapter is eg. scene selcetion menu or a particular favourite "extra"? At the moment, (for me) it is impossible to tell other than easily finding the main movie.

After viewing a backed up version of a movie, the number of chapter markers has gone through the roof! There are now chapter markers in the middle of the original chapters, so instead of having say 25 - 30 or so chapters I may now have 90+! Although this does not affect the viewing of the movie it is annoying when trying to find a particular scene.

Finally, in one movie there are english subtitles in a couple of scenes where they are using a foreign language (this is part of the movie and not a dvd feature). On the orignal, the subtitles appear in clear white but on the backed up version they appear in a fuzzy green colour??? Why's that then?!

Any help greatly appreciated! :smashin:

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Can I suggest an easier method mate, just use DVD Shrink, it will keep all the original menus, you can control the quality and it will keep the original chapters, its very easy to use and an excellent program.

3. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that IJ, I have seen a few threads on this - do you know how the quality compares with footage and also the 5.1 soundtracks?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVD Shrink allows you to control the amount of compression, if all you want is a hard-disk copy then do it uncompressed, this will give you the same results quality-wise as the DVDDecrypter/IFOEdit method you've used.

It also allows you to join movies, eg. the 2 halves of the LoTR:EE versions, though I've found TheaterTek stopped playing at the end of part 1 on TTT:EE when doing this, so it's not foolproof.

5. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reckon I'll have to give it a whirl then... although I'd rather use Decrypter if Shrink was to degrade the quality noticeably... (I've just spent a whack on a new home cinema system with amp, KEF's, dvd etc so I am still in the brand new toy mode and want to make the most of it ;D )

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But what is it you're wanting to do?

If you just want to copy your DVDs to hard disk then DVD Decrypter in File mode will do that. What process did you use IFOEdit to do?

If you're trying to join parts together then Shrink can do it, without compressing if you don't want to.

There are several transcoding programs which you can use to reduce the size, DVD Shrink is one, DVD2One is another, there are several more, results can vary a lot.

7. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am backing up movies in their normal format on to disc. Trouble is that a lot of movies are dual-layer and can hold up to 3.5 - 4hrs, whereas blank dvd's are only single layer and so can only hold 2hrs of non-compressed data.

So i have used Decryp to extract the main movie part as I know that will fit on to a single layer blank dvd, I then need to use IFOEdit to re-create the file structure for the extracted VOB files which can be read by my dvd player.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah okay, it's just that some like me rip the DVD un-changed simply to play off hard disk more conveniently :).

In that case DVD Shrink is a good choice to do the transcoding, ie. the re-compressing, another popular choice is DVD2One.

You may find popping over to CDFreaks' forums helpful if you want to explore the various options.

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Mate you are very lucky if you have just been ripping the main movie and getting that to burn onto a dvdr, alot are too big even with everything but 5.1 removed, use DVD Shrink, if you just want the main movie you can do that and it will output it in a format ready to burn so no need for IFOEdit but I would choose to do a 1:1 so you keep the menus, if they film can fit onto a dvdr anyway then you might as well loose 2% of the quality to get the menus.

10. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IJ, yeah - you're right, if I can't get the film AND 5.1 into a dvdr using Decryp then i am better off losing a bit of quality in 1:1 - KraGorn, I will defintely take a look at Shrink and DVD2One.

Cheers guys!

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I would recommend DVD Shrink first mate as it is free and if you use Deep Analysis it will give better quality than DVD2one

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agreed Shrink is the one to look at first, being free .. disagree it's always better unless version 3 has improved a LOT, some movies with 2.3 were not as good as DVD2One 1.3, though admittedly I haven't done any A/B testing for some time as I now use DivX when I want anything other than a straight copy.

13. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - will do! :)

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    DVD Shrink Beta 3 will give a better quality result as long as you use Deep Anaylsis, takes longer but worth it.

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I may have to re-visit Shrink then for transcoding. :)

16. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what program would anyone recommend to burn on to dvd-r after using dvd shrink , tried Nero it stop responding (using a panasonic 310 dvd writer), want to make a copy of a dvd of mine that has a scratch on the orginal it plays ok on my pc but jumps on my dvd players

cheers from pete

17. mph8873

mph8873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried WinOnCD? I have used WinOnCD 6 which also does DVD, works fine with my Plextor PX708A - or the Roxio Easy CD / DVD Creator.

18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    RecordNow Max, its the best there is mate.

19. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    mph8873 - have got easy cd/dvd only let you burn data dvd not video,

Indiana Jones - thanks i'll try it

from pete