1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring on a Notebook PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by arthurwatt, Sep 28, 2004.

1. arthurwatt

arthurwatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good morning

I will soon upgrade my old PC for a higher spec machine (3 GHz processor, min 512MB RAM, min 40 MB HDU). My wife would like me to get a notebook PC instead of a desktop, has anyone done DVD authoring on notebooks? there are quite a lot of notebooks with DVD burners but will I need a video input device? (apologies for my ignorance) My camcorder store mini DV tapes and there is no firewire.

I would like to back up all my old min-DV footage into DVD, I would only require very basic video editing functionality.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    All DV camcorders will have a firewire output and many new laptop PC's will have firewire as well. If the laptop doesn't have firewire then it can be added on a PCMCIA card for not too much money.
    A DV camcorder and a PC with firewire are the only requirements for captureing your footage. No other devices are needed.
    The main problem with useing a laptop for video capture/editing is that they normally have lower capacity HDD's and DV footage takes 1Gb for every 4 minutes captured, thats approx 14Gb per hour. In addition to that you need extra space for editing and file conversion. A good estimate is double the space needed for the capture. So if captureing a full DV tape of 1 hour estimate that you will need 28Gb of space on the HDD. Theeasiest way around this is to get an external firewire HDD for editing. It is recommended to not install any software on this drive and only use it for the video/sound files that you capture. If you do this then there are no reasons why you can't edit on a laptop.
    If buying a brand new laptop then the chances are that it will be supplied with Windows XP installed. If it is then you will have the required editing software already as XP has Movie Maker as part of its install. All you will then need is authoring software to create the DVD's. If the laptop has a DVD burner installed then you may well find that this software is also included.

Mark.

3. arthurwatt

arthurwatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the repsonse MarkE19.

I checked again last night and my camcorder does not have a firewire output, the model is a JVC GR-DVL355. I searched the Web and found some German web pages in which the same issue was being described then same problem, however the google translation was very poor.

Is there an inexpensive way to translate composite video or s-video into firewire, or do many notebook pcs have video input factilities?

Cheers

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well with a quick Google search I found this:
    on This web site.

I think the cause of the confusion is that firewire is also known as ieee1394, iLink, DV port and probably a few others.

HTH,
    Mark.

5. arthurwatt

arthurwatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mark

apologies for my ignorance. RTFM comes to mind. I have not used firewire before and was unaware that DV out was in fact the same as firewire.

Your responses were very much appreciated.

Cheers

Arthur

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    No problem mate, just glad to be able to help.
    I'm sure all the companies get together at least once a year and decide on the name 'they' are each going to call something just to confuse the hell out of the likes of you & me :rolleyes:

Mark.