1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Author is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cochranv, Feb 9, 2005.

1. cochranv

cochranv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I'm pulling my hair out here!

I recorded 3 titles onto dvd-ram using my panasonic e55. I edited out the adverts using partial erase. All looks fine on the Panasonic.

I ran dvd author 1.6 (TMPGEnc) and select "Add DVD Video." The first title copies over. Great.

When I try to copy over either of the other two remaining titles, I get an error saying that "The video aspect ratio 4:3 is not compatible withthe current track."

Now, I copied all three titles in the same way! Why should there be a problem? Why is my e55 recording stuff at 4:3 and then 16:9? The program is from the same chanel and is one of a series link, so i don't see why they would be different! I can't even copy the whole .vro file to edit on dvd author because it seems to leave one of the titles behind!

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. (Is there an alternative to dvd author which works in a similar way? I actually like the software - when it works!)

Thanks in advance.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    On your E55 I suggest in future that you used 'Fixed Resolution' rather than the default 'variable resolution'. A lot of dvd authoring software prefer fixed. Maybe yu have already?

I had similar problems with my RAM disks and TMPG Author so ditched it in the end.
    I now use ULead DVD Author which will impor tand convert VRO files. You can down load a trial version from www.ulead.co.uk.

Or womnble mpeg Video Wizard 2003....http://www.womble.com/download.htm

Never had any problems with either.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is perfectly possible, even likely, to record material with both 4:3 and 16:9. The ratio often changes between programme and adverts. E.g. I record “The Simpsons”, the show is 4:3, but the adverts (using Freeview) are generally 16:9. Sometimes you can find just a single frame or so of the wrong aspect.

On DVD-RAM (VR mode), it is OK to have mixed ratios, but it is not OK in DVD-Video mode (e.g. on DVD-R). So that is why your software is complaining.

If this is what is happening to you, changing the software won’t help. I don’t have the E55, but can you check the aspects of your frames at the points where you cut out the adverts, to see if you have any “wrong” aspect frames?

Mark

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    also
    dvds edited on a standalone recorder are non-standard.
    Dvd author will not accept them (or acts strangely)
    Do not edit on the standalone, edit in dvd author and all your problems should go away.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Edits on all major brand DVD-RAM recorders are entirely in accordance with the VR standards (a mode designed for editting) - a few machines use illegal resolutions (JVC for example) which prevent them being imported. Indeed I always edit on my DVD recorder before importing into TMPG Encoder Author. Odds are, as Kevo stated, the problem is caused by using resolution switching (which is none standard) and is remedied by setting "Hybrid VBR Resolution" to "Fixed" in the menu.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Rasczak,

I'm sure you are right that this "Hybrid VBR Resolution" could cause a problem (I don't know anything about that)... but would that cause the error he got complaining about aspect ratio? "The video aspect ratio 4:3 is not compatible with the current track." Couldn't this also be caused by having 4:3 and 16:9 frames in the same title on the VR disc, which is valid for VR but not Video?

Mark

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    redsox_mark,

Assuming he is seeing the error message I think he is seeing then it mentions three possible causes for the failure: aspect ratio, mixed resolutions and something else that slips my mind. Basically it is a default "error" mesage that has been badly translated into English.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would definatley edit on the standalone recorder as much as possible before inporting into TMPG so as to remove any 'offending' 16:9 flagged scenes/ads etc.

Just for future reference...you can have different titles (and menus) in different aspect ratios on one DVD-R, although this is not applicable with the original problem.

9. cochranv

cochranv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It's nice to see some interest in these problems!

I tried editing out the ads completely, but it didn't help. I ended up importing each title as a separate title in dvd author. That worked fine. Still not sure why the .vro file on the dvd-ram doesn't bring in all three titles though.

Am I losing out on quality by going for fixed resolution? I'm not sure what I'm using at the moment (will take a look when I get home).

Kevo: Does ULead allow you to edit and then save without the need for re-encoding, like dvdauthor? For that matter, does premier elements? And are there any other 'favourites' for simple editing without re-encoding?

Anyway, thanks again!

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Not really - the bitrate used will be slightly lower but the fixed resolution is better IMHO.