1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rigman, Feb 17, 2001.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi
    I am thinking of buying an DVD audio player, probably the new Toshiba 900E.
    My current amplification consists of a Lexicon DC1 processor feeding a Parasound 1205A power amp. I understand that a 6 channel input is needed as the DVD audio D/A is done in the DVD player. The DC1 does not have a 6 channel in but obviously the Parasound has separate inputs. Could I connect the DVD audio player direct into the Parasound when playing DVD audio discs. The only trouble I can see with this is the control of the volume. Do the DVD audio players have a volume control facility (variable output) or does it mean that I will need to replace the Lexicon and Parasound for an amplifier such as the Denon AVC1SE which has pre and power in the same box along with a separate 6 channel in to be able to play the higher resolution discs. If that is the case then I would be reluctant to make what is in effect a backwards step in terms of quality of my conponents as the Denon is good but not as good as my current processor / amplifier.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Darren

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may benefit from reading about DVD-A before changing what sounds to be a system that most of us dream about. I have checked DVD-A out believing it to be the system of the future. However, the true picture seems a little different once you delve deeper. I suggest you have a look at the TAG Mclaren website and search under DVD-A. Its a good place to start. Are you aware of the very limited choice of recordings produced so far and, from my point of view, what a weird selection. Hi-Fi Choice magazine ran an article where they highlighted that some of the DVD-A discs weren't quite what the were supposed to be.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also would expect that the first DVD-A releases are just transfers or, if you are "lucky", remixes of old recording material.
    Which means it has not been recorded in the highest possible resolution and bit rate.
    But it looks good when it says DVD-A on the front an can be sold at higher prices ...

Mind you, most studios don't have yet compatible recording and / or mixing facilities!

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Okay thanks for that I dont think I will bother with it just now then. Will see which format wins between DVD audio and SACD then invest in new kit. My money is on DVD audio as people will recognise the DVD logo but they probably wont know what SACD is. Maybe they will both fail as the majority of people think that you cannot get any better than CD even though a good quality record deck will sound better than any CD player.

Darren

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Darren - You may not be aware that you can play DVD-A NOW! on a normal DVD player though you will not get the DVD-A track obviously - What you will get is DD5.1 though and from reviews on amazon that I've read the DD5.1 sounds really good - I have just ordered ELP BrainSaladSurgery to check it out for myself ... I believe DVD-A will be the way to go in the future and expect to upgrade my DVD player to DVD-A in a year or so (yipee another good reason to upgrade again [​IMG])

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

6. GENEX

GENEX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-A does not sound as good as SACD. With Sony's recording studio's backing DSD recording I expect the number of SACD's being released to significantly outnumber DVD-A's for the time being. 192kHz recording is not considered to be particularly reliable at the moment, meaning that many studios will wait to upgrade. My advice would be to wait around 6 months for the situation to resolve itself. I would certainly expect an SACD player to sound better than an all in one DVD-A / DVD player, due to the extra circuitry involved. If there's nothing wrong with your current DVD player, why change it?